1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Gravely or Exmark?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Woodward, Jan 30, 2003.

1. Woodward

Woodward LawnSite Member

I thought I had made my decision on a new Exmark until I visited my dealer today. He has Exmark and Gravely and he was really pushing the Gravely as a mower that is as good as an Emark with a lower price. He said the hydro pumps on the Gravely are twice the size of the ones on the exmarks, 10cc compared to 20cc, which gives it 3mph more ground speed. He also said the spindle set-up on the Gravely was better in his opinion. Are the hydro pumps that big of a deal or does it matter that it may beat the Exmark it the quarter mile but may not mow as well due to that fact I've heard alot of good things about the finish an Exmark has in all types of mowing situations? Also the Gravely does not have a closed mulching system as does the Exmark is this a pro or con in any of your opinions? The Gravely PM 260z 28hp efi 60" has suspension seat standard and lights standard with a cost of $8799 and $100 more for same mower with a 27 LC Kaw. A Exmark Lazer 26hp efi 60" suspension seat standard, no lights for $9899 and $100 for a 27hp LC Kaw 60" supension seat $600 extra, no lights. Yes, I have searched this but could not find the answers that I'm hoping to get from guys out there who have had experience with these mowers. Thanks alot for the info.Don
  2. Bill Davis

Bill Davis LawnSite Senior Member

I like the exmarks and here is why... The support you get directly from exmark.... the seat height is too hight on the gravely after you operate a Exmark for awhile. The gravely feels like I am going to come out when used on a hill. Demo them both and decide for yourself.
  3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Now keep in mind I can get the PM260Z for $6,799 nd my experience is limited to demos.

I've demoed both and I like the Gravely better feature for feature, dollar for dollar. With the Gravely you get a premium seat, smoother controls w/nicer sticks, larger tires, working lights, hydro deck lift, lift master for service, a Kawi with a factory fitted canister filter and a pivoting or fixed front axle, 13mph speed.

Yes the seat is higher than the lazer Z HP but it handles just as well on hills if not better. If you want lower seat height, get the Gravely PM 160 Z.

Here, Gravely is the most bang for the buck mower on the market hands down.

:blob4: Gravely :blob4:
  4. dogdad

dogdad LawnSite Member

How can you get this unit for this price? I buy Gravely from the largest dealer in the country and the P252 was $7400. What is your secret or who do you know?
  5. Envy Lawn Service

My dealer buys by the Trailer load for one thing. Maybe the other is most dealer try to make a little more profit than you think. The price is no special price for me either. My dealer runs this price on his ad in the paper. I'll see if I can locate a copy of his ad on the net.
  6. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

I looking for a new 72" mid mount for the 2003 season. I was leaning real hard towards the Exmark. Then I looked at the Gravely. More horse power, faster, fuel capacity, hydraulic deck, and a real important feature to me is headlights. I test drove one, and the seat is very comfortable. I'll probably buy one in a couple of months.
  7. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

AS much as i like exmarks and Toros it wouid be hard to beat the deal on the Gravely, almost sounds to good to be true..I see several Gravelys around and they do a nice job, but still can't cut as clean as the Z-Masters or Exmarks. If i demoed both a liked it better at that price ive say id go with the Gravely..IMPO...Marks Mowing Service
  8. Envy Lawn Service

We have a paper here called IWANNA. I went to there site to see if I could post a link to his ad. Unfortunately, for whatever reason they oly show private part ads on-line. But I assure you that price IS that good and has been for a very long time.
  9. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

All I have to say on this subject is you better put them in the grass on your properties to see which is best. :dizzy:
  10. Woodward

Woodward LawnSite Member

My concern is that those headlights may be useless for early morning mowing if the deck wont allow you to mow grass that has dew on it. Also what about the poor mulching system for the Gravely? My dealer said their system is double blades on each shaft. I'm fairly new to the business but will I spend more time with my blower cleaning up the grass clippings{ie..parking lots or sidewalks} from a discharge system like the Gravely than with a closed mulching system like the Exmarks? I hope I'm being to analytical but I see all the post that say "I wish I would have thought about this or that" and I know time is money.
    Thanks Don