Gravely or exmark?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bp418, Jul 16, 2004.

1. bp418

bp418 LawnSite Member

I'm just getting my business started and have all equipment purchased, except the most important part, the mower! I have been quoted a price for an ex-mark "44"inch, of $6399 and a Gravely 144z of $5000. Which should I go after. I will be cutting mostly St. Augustine and Floratam. Which gives the better cut? Thanks for the help :) :)

2. brandon1022

brandon1022 LawnSite Member

I could not tell you the specifics of these two mowers, but I did like the stands that made it easier to change blades and the IQ systems on the Gravely's. The dealer in our area seems to be a pretty straight shooter. He seemed to think the extras were what put them over the top.

3. Rich's Lawn Care

Rich's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I think the Exmark does a sweet job.

my pictures.jpg

4. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

my gravely 144z blows ASS! The thing sucks.

Trevor

5. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

don't let trevor's opinion on the gravely be the one to sway you away. i believe he got a lemon. i've had nothing but excellent results with my 260Z. i can't say for certain the 144 is as tough as the 260, however my old gravely walkbehind is also built like a tank.

6. Rich's Lawn Care

Rich's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

The best think to do is Demo both of them and then buy the one you like.

7. bp418

bp418 LawnSite Member

Well after must research and trying both out, I bought the eXmark. What a great ride. Thanks for all the input.:D

8. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

what exactly drew you to the exmark?

Whoever said above i got a lemon wasnt lying, because i just bought a used gravely WB and this thing leaves theeeeeee most PERRRRRTY cut. Smooth, clean, crisp, and nice stripes. I believe my engine RPMS/blade tip speed may be the cause for the shitty cut on the gravely 144z...Gonna have that looked at immediatly.

Trevor

9. HayBay

HayBay LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

Lol, now you tell him.

They both seem like nice machines to me, I have never used either so I can't speak from an owner point of view. But I have read good comments about both.

10. bp418

bp418 LawnSite Member

I leaned toward the eXmark after I tried both, because of the service reputation the business I bought it from had. I talked to alot of people in the local community in the lawn care business and I heard nothing but good things about the eXmark dealer. I heard good things about the gravely dealer, however not as good as the eXmark. They all said service was a big deal when your equipment breaks and you need it ASAP to handle accounts!!