Gravely or Ferris

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by Cj's lawnservice, Jun 17, 2008.

1. tjoyce2010

tjoyce2010 LawnSite Member

I am looking at a ferris 36 hydro cut the price is 2600.00 the machine is only 1 year old and the owner claims to have less than 10 hours on machine is this a good deal i am just starting out in the lawn care buisness ??? please let me know thanks tj
  2. CEN61

CEN61 LawnSite Member

I think the price is ok but for 6 or 7 hundred more why not buy new and get the full warranty?
  3. Nick's Lawn Care

Nick's Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

My uncle has the 5000... it is a MACHINE!!!
  4. Matlock Lawncare

Matlock Lawncare LawnSite Member

If you are just starting out and looking for a good mower you are on the right track. IN MY OPINION(we all know what those are like) you need to make sure it is a dual hydro. The singles are a pain. Go to a ferris dealer and run a dual hydro and then run the single and it will make up your mind for you. Good luck in the future.....
  5. tjoyce2010

tjoyce2010 LawnSite Member

well the guy selling really needs to move the machine and after some hagling i can now purchase for 2100.00 sounds to good to be true should i go for it
  6. Matlock Lawncare

Matlock Lawncare LawnSite Member

good deal yeah BUT try a dual first. If you have any hills to cut and have to turn it is a #####! But that does sound like a good deal. Only you know if you should go for it. Good luck
  7. Mike's LawnCare Landscape

Mike's LawnCare Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

If its almost new new then that sound good . I think the 36 only comes in the single and does not come it the dual hydro.
    But to give you a price range I got my 61 in DD for $1900 and I would say it has less then 100 hrs on it when i got it and it has a sulky with it!!

Might be a good deal depends what modal it is.
  8. pete studer

pete studer LawnSite Member

the guys that bash ferris's are morons and don't know how to use the machine. they have a 4-wheel suspension, you can't mow full speed then go into a turn, the suspension is gonna give and it's gonna scalp. if you run it like to machine was designed to run it works great. so those of you idiots that wanna ***** about the ferris mowers, learn how to run it, or go buy a non suspension mower, so 20 years from now you can be walking with a cane and carrying your kidneys in a bag from all the years of bouncing and abuse on your body. i've run all the mowers out there and i've had my ferris is 2000 for 3 years now, that's all i will run.
  9. Magnum Services

Magnum Services LawnSite Member

I use Gator Mulching Blades on mine and it cuts great! The deck is solid and I only clean mine when I change blades which is once a week.I wish I would have bought mine earlier BUT the money was right so I bought it!:drinkup:
  10. kjslawn

kjslawn LawnSite Senior Member

Thats good to know I have a bad back and the ride is one of the most important to me