1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Gravely or Ferris

Discussion in 'Industry Surveys & Polls' started by Cj's lawnservice, Jun 17, 2008.

1. CGlisson

CGlisson LawnSite Member

Both are good mowers.

My buddy runs all Gravely Z's. Has 6 of them I believe. Has striping kits on all of them so they do nice work.

Ferris is good too. As mentioned before...gotta be gentle with the turns.

You won't go wrong with either.

2. HulkXD

HulkXD LawnSite Member

I run a Gravely 160Z and it's been amazing. Dealer support has been great, the mower is bulletproof. Don't know much about Ferris, but I've heard a lot good about them. The Gravely isn't the smoothest. I'm fine with it, but it can get bumpy sometimes. The quit putting the suspension seat on them!

3. mes9979

mes9979 LawnSite Member

matlock, Im from st louis and run exmark walk behinds and lazers z thinking of buying a ferris 52 walk behind dd comfort control , love exmark cut quality but new turf tracer 48in price $6500 I can get a ferris 52in for $5500 on sale. they look well built but do they strip and leave a clean cut. thanks.

4. Big Red Ferris

Big Red Ferris LawnSite Member

ferris i have 1500's i love them idk tho im looking probly in a yr too get a 1500z with a 61and i told the rep too put a 31 kawi on it idk but i love all the ferris's vote ferris !

5. Matlock Lawncare

Matlock Lawncare LawnSite Member

Ferris is a great striping mower. The guys at Scott's power equiptment are great to work with, They will show you the YARD CARD, O% intrest for entire purchase. Gotta love it.

6. Big Red Ferris

Big Red Ferris LawnSite Member

i have a yard card you really cant beat it i tryed callin them one time good luck 45 mins later gerrrr i said screw it but yea all in all they are paired up well ferris w the card

7. Kennedy Landscaping

Kennedy Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Love my Gravely!! :)

8. kodak mowing

kodak mowing LawnSite Member

i love my gravely i have a proturn 152 and its a tank,but ive never used ferris only cubs,and hustler

9. Hangtastic

Hangtastic LawnSite Member

I researched all mower brands recently before i made a purchase. When i say "all" i mean the major players like Ferris, Exmark, Wright, Gravely, JD, and on down the line. Probably 10-12 brands. Most of the brands have their strong points. When it comes to engines though Kawasaki is what you will find on most of the better mowers, for good reason. When compared to Briggs and Kohler, Kawasaki has by far the most durable air cooled twin on the market today. The rest of the mower has to come down to what your looking for as each brand has its strong points. The Ferris line is known for its full suspension, which is great, if that's what your looking for. The gravely's ride is more like a tanks than a Bentley's due to being built heavier overall. Which one will last longer IMO will, like most everything else, depend on how its taken care of during its life. All that being said, The Gravely today is the better built machine. Years ago Ferris was bought by simplicity which in turn was bought by Briggs and Stratton. Since then then all of the Simplicity and Ferris products have gone down hill just like the Briggs engine.