1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Gravely or hustler???

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by dago52, Mar 2, 2008.

1. dago52

dago52 LawnSite Member

I am in the market for my first ztr. I will be used for a residential only and maybe one or two other yards. My lot size is 150x100 and right now I use a honda self propelled mower. I love the way my honda cuts, but it just takes too much time. I have a Hustler and Gravely dealer in my area, both are about 15-20 minutes away. I have looked at HD and Lowes, but after finding this site I am now looking elsewhere. The two mowers that I am interested in are the Mini Fastrak 36 and the ZT 1734. I have searched the forums for about 5 days now and just trying to get some other opinions. My budget started off at 2500, but after researching I have raised it. My local Hustler dealer quoted me 3599 for the Mini Fastrak 36 and I have not got a price the Gravely yet. I like the warranty from Hustler, but I also like the financing from Gravely. The Gravely website has an finance offer of 1.9 for 36 months or 3.9 for 60 months.

Thanks in advanced
  2. captn

captn LawnSite Member

Dago, I've just been through the same thing. You have just about 1/3 acre...not sure you need the ZTR, but they are nice. Gravely will be slightly cheaper, but the Hustler is a much better machine IMO. Demo both...you'll see what I mean.
  3. dago52

dago52 LawnSite Member

Will the dealers let you demo on my property? What ztr did you end up getting?

4. captn

captn LawnSite Member

I bought the Hustler. I ended up with an 07 52" deck Fastrak. My Business partner has Hustler equipment, and my neighbor had the Fastrak he let me use when my Crapsman broke down....twice.

Most dealers wont let you demo off thier property.

It's a residential mower with commercial components and works very well. Worth the cash, but I have 2 acres.
  5. lifetree

lifetree LawnSite Fanatic

That's not correct if your a commercial LCO ... they'll let you use it for a day or 2 to see how you like it !!
  6. fishinpa

fishinpa LawnSite Senior Member
    from SE PA

If you do deceide to go Hustler, and can store the 42" vs the 36", there's some overhang on the left side that allows you to get closer to beds, trees whatever. They call it the "trim edge" of the machine. True the 42" might be a bit overkill for your yard, but what size are the other two neighbors yards you cut occasionally?

NOTE: If you have any gates to deal with, check the specs on whichever mower your most interested in before putting any money down.

My lot is about .6 acre and I went from 1.5hrs of cut, trim, blow with a 21" LawnBoy to about 45min with the 42" MFT.

Good luck either way.

NOTE 2: The hustlers have a lifetime warrr on the frame and lead edge of the deck and "I think" a 3yr bumper to bumper on the rest of the unit. Someone will say if I'm wrong about that pretty quickly, I'm sure.
  7. captn

captn LawnSite Member

It took this as pure residential. Does't hurt to ask!
  8. dago52

dago52 LawnSite Member

My neighbors yards are smaller than mine. I do have some gates, but I also have a 9' gate so I can get my boat in the yard. I see that many people have the Hustler, but I looking for a Gravely residential owner's input. I am leaning towards the Hustler right now, but open to options.

Thanks for all the input
  9. Capemay Eagle

Capemay Eagle LawnSite Bronze Member

I think this is going to come down to "you get what you pay for" The Gravely you are looking at is in no comparison to the Hustler MFT. I think it may be fare to say that the Hustler MFT 42" may be the best homeowner 1 acre or less mower on the market. The Gravely ZT series seems to resemble the Home Depot Toro 4200 series. I think you would have to look more into the Gravely XL, HDZ or Commercial compact series to compare to the MFT. The MFT is that well built. Either way they are both quality names, but again I don't think the ZT series is the way to go.
  10. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

All I will add is;

We use to be a Gravely dealer and you do not want to buy one, Stick with the Hustler as all the others have stated.