1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

gravely or scag

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cdaniel, May 11, 2008.

1. cdaniel

cdaniel LawnSite Member

I'm about to buy my first zero turn for a 5 acre farm. I'm tired of spending all day with an undersized john deere mower.

I've got it narrowed down to a Scag Wildcat, 52 inch deck with 25 hp Kawasaki ($7999), or a Gravely 252 XDZ with 52 inch deck and 27 hp Kawasaki ($7899). Gravely dealer will throw in the light kit and hitch for free, the Scag dealer wants about $200 extra for those. Both dealers seem very responsive and are 30 minutes away.

I have a Deere dealer very close buy and they have been great, but I have only heard horror stories about the 800 series. Another dealer locally has Simplicity and Great Dane, but I wasn't impressed with the equipment.

Any input would be appreciated before I pull the trigger. Thanks.
  2. missileman

missileman LawnSite Member

I'm in my second season with a Gravely 252 XDZ and I love it. It is a very well built machine and I haven't had any problems or issues. I've never had a Scag so I can't comment on it.

Good luck
  3. C4chris70

C4chris70 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a Gravely 252z, a Scag 52Turf Tiger, and a Scag 48 Tiger Cub. I haven't had any problems with any of these machines, but I do prefer the Scag cut quality and stability on hills. The Gravely tends to slide on hills.