Gravely outfront - Yoke steering

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tbillow, May 29, 2004.

1. tbillow

tbillow LawnSite Member

I am looking at a 8 year old Gravely with a 60" deck, it only has 360 hours.

I am little concerned about the yoke steering - anybody have an opinion on this type of steering?

2. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

don't keep us in suspense.

what's your problem with the yoke steering on that unit???

GEO :confused:

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I have that same machine, and it's been a great machine. It has it's applications. Where this mower really shines, is reaching under stuff like bushes, and such. You have to run highlifts on it to get a decent cut, as it just doesn't produce the blade speed that it should when it is set up stock. I modified mine, and increased the blade tip speed, so it works much better, now.
    One nice thing about this machine, is ease of operation, and the ability to trim around things. You can just sweep right around things in one smooth sweep, unlike ztr's, that are more choppy. I use this machine to run my JRCO rake on, because of the hydraulically lifted deck. I can just lift the whole deck and rake up, and push stuff like brush piles onto the tarps. I also bent my foot pedal at more of an angle, and reset my hydro adjustment accordingly to give me both more forward and reverse speed.
    There does come a little slack in the handlebar steering after awhile, but inserting a larger bolt through the line-up holes remedies this. Also, the cable underneath is adjustable for for setting the handlebar alignment. One helpful hint; if you're cutting rough ground, deflate the rear wheels a bit and this softens the ride CONSIDERABALLY. My girlfriend runs the tires quite low, and she prefers them that way. All in all, the machine is built like a tank.

4. tbillow

tbillow LawnSite Member

The thing is HUGE!! I am just wondering how hard it is to operate since I have little experience - the price is right $2500 just wanted to get opinions.....

5. tbillow

tbillow LawnSite Member

"You have to run highlifts "

exactly what is this? and second is it something easily done (or can my Gravely service center do it?)