Gravely PM 34Z

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by melmel, Jun 2, 2004.

1. melmel

melmel LawnSite Member

Hi, very new here. I just stumbled across a Gravely PM 34Z. I am not in the business like most of you, but am trying to sell myself on a affordable zero turn for my two acres (60% wide open, 40% small trees). A lawn tractor has typically taken me 2 hours to cut, not including trim work. The Gravely PM 34Z really impressed me (granted, I'm new to this) because of it's speed (9mph) and cut. My questions are:

-How will my cut time compare with this 34" deck vs. a 50" riding lawn tractor given the amount of trees I have?
    -is there more inherent maintenance with a zero-turn vs. a riding lawn tractor?
    -What's the reputation of Gravely?

My view is that for $4000 (vs. $3400 for a John Deer riding lawn tractor), it may be worth the extra $$. Is a 34" deck OK for 2 acres?

Finally, How does a zero turn maneuver on "slushy" lawns. I live in Florida, and have a combination of Bahia and Bermuda grasses. The stuff can get real thick and long when it rains. Will this 34Z be able to maneuver acceptably in a slushy environment? I gather that doing a zero turn in this type of environment can tear the grass up?

Please advise.

Thanks.

2. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

1. I bieleve on the gravely web site it says that it cuts 3.1 acres per hour so its better than your garden tractor for that.
    2. I don't know.
    3. gravely has an exelent reputation for quality and for reliability.
    my grampa had one for years and it just kept going.

hope this helps:D:rolleyes:

3. Paul Corsetti

Paul Corsetti LawnSite Member

just bought a garvely 144z 19 hr kaw. 44inch cut 5200 out the door .I looked at 20 different mowers and the best bang for the buck is the gravely right now,will see how it holds up