Gravely PM34Z owners read!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CURBAPPEAL NC, Jun 20, 2006.

1. CURBAPPEAL NC

CURBAPPEAL NC LawnSite Member

I recently put a few posts on here about changing hydro sensitivity because its easy to tear the yard with the setup. Well What I did was bought some better tires and it is so much better. I bought the Carlisle Multitrac c/s tires. I bought them 1" wider than the original. They dont make a 21" so went with a 20". So the size is a 20-8.00-10. I cant tell a diiference in height between the tires side by side. GO figure! Anyways the ride is better, Handles better, doesnt tear anything unless going just too fast and also looks meaner with these wider tires!
    This is only my opinion/advise so you guys dont pick this paragraph apart, if you dont want to try then dont. anyways I am very happy with this mower now, feels like a whole new ride.

2. SouthernYankee

SouthernYankee LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the post, what type of grass are you cutting and do you do zero turns or 3 point turns?

Also did you find that your machines front wheels wear out fast?

3. CURBAPPEAL NC

Tall fescue and centipede mostly, if not cutting weeds:laugh: I havent noticed any accelerated wear of the front tires although this is my first season with the mower. I wouldnt dare do zero turns with the old tires but I feel I could with the new ones given its was a plush yard. Im so used to 3 points I havent really tried yet. Ive only used the new tires for 1 day so ill get back at ya!

4. tennman

tennman LawnSite Member

I'd be interested in how they do on slopes vs the original ones.
    Do the wider tires change the overall width of the machine or are they still narrower than the deck width.

5. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Front tires? Ours has over 400 hours and they look brand new. Our back tires are balder than a babys rear end.

6. SouthernYankee

SouthernYankee LawnSite Senior Member

Pro Street,

my front tires have some bad cracks on them, I guess it has something to do with the heat down here in Houston.

7. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Beware: This change will make the tires the SAME width as your deck. So, when you trim along metal edging, or a chainlink fence, there is a good chance you will slice your sidewalls. The change may help traction, but it destroys the trim clearance you had originally.

8. CURBAPPEAL NC

This mower doesnt have any deck trim sticking out anyways! I dont think 1/2" is makes a difference. Its only a half inch (of tire) addition on each side so it can still go through my smallest gates, it just might rub the tire a little which wont hurt unless for somereason the gate has sharp edges. some of my gates i had to rub the tire a little anyways with the old tires. Trust me this is a very small price to pay for the better ride and turf saving you get. Thats all, take it or leave it.

9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

What tire did it have on it originally? Turf Savers?

10. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

They come with Carlisle Turf-Saver tires on the rear. With original tires, they have just over 1" tire clearance, on the trim side.
    The wider tires reduce that to zero clearance.