Gravely Pro G - as reliable as an exmark?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chaddsford, Sep 26, 2003.

1. chaddsford

chaddsford LawnSite Member

I need a 48 inch wb and have settled on either the Gravely Pro G or the Exmark Metro. I like the Gravely a little better, but they are not as well known around here. The exmark gets excellent reviews from most people. Both dealers seem good.

Does anyone know if the Gravely Pro G is as tough and reliable as the exmark? The prices are similar.

2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

3. chaddsford

John - thanks for your response but I have already done that and I like the Gravely a little better. I was trying to find someone who had some perspective on the relative reliability of the two models.

The Pro G is a much more thoughtful design, but it is heavier than it needs to be and I can not find anyone who has anything good to say about the brand or model. It is nice too that the floating deck is only a few hundred more than the fixed.

The exmark design is seems old and needs updating. There is no reason why the cutting height can't be changed more easily. However, you do see a lot of the toro/exmark wb units being used around here and there are a lot of happy owners. And the lighter weight should make it easier to handle and pull in reverse.

So in the end, I will be a chicken and buy the exmark because no one seems to have anything good to say about the Gravely. However, I will grumble every time I change the cutting height.

4. rookiemower

rookiemower LawnSite Senior Member

i have the gravely pro g got it at the begining of the season so far it has been great no complaints its built like a tank and take what even you dish out the steering is much nicer than the usual pistol grips and the deck height is so easy to adjust so far it has been a great machine also i believe it was well thought out and engineered also

5. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

You might want to get the gravely,you will feel better about your decision.
    John

6. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

I have posted several times about my satisfaction with the Gravley Pro-G. I have a 36" wb with a single wheel velke and it performs very well. The steering took me about 2 hrs to become acustommed to.
    I can not envision returning to pistol grips.
    I like the machine, and am, in fact, looking to expand with at least one more by the start of next year.

7. mowdini

mowdini LawnSite Member

Chaddsford--Sounds like you did your homework on the Gravely/Exmark. It also sounds like you really like the Gravely. Don't worry about what the guys will say about the Gravely. Go with your gut on this and be happy with your purchase. I've learned the hard way to always go with your gut.:)

8. chaddsford

Thank you everyone for great feedback. I searched for postings on this but I didn't see anything, I think I searched the wrong forum. Anyway, I am going to go with the Gravely.

One last question - do I go with the 48" fixed deck or with the floating deck? I was going to go with the floating deck but the dealer is encouraging me to save the extra $300 and stay with the fixed - he says that given the positioning of the wheels on the fixed deck it is not any more likely to scalp. In fact, he says a lot of guys remove the anti-scalp wheels on the floating deck because they almost never engage and they can impede trimming right up to the front of the deck.

I cut some fairly rough ground which may be better described as field. Anyone have an opinion - is it worth getting the floating deck on a w/b?

Thanks again for your help.

9. mowdini

mowdini LawnSite Member

Chaddsford--In my opinion a floating deck is a waste of money on any decks small than a 52" or 54" deck. Scalping is not an issue with a 48" deck. If however you do a lot of cutting height changes during the course of the day you might want to consider going with the floating deck. Sounds like your dealer is a good guy to work with.