Gravely Pro-G Walk behind problem

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by djnman, Oct 23, 2004.

1. djnman

djnman LawnSite Member

I have a 988115 Pro G 48", 15hp Kaw.

The mower cuts great and I have just 21 hours on it. The drive belts are already stretched to the maximum adjustment. I use the 2 wheel sulkie that gravely also sells. Is there any way to fix this issue?? I have adjusted to the specs in the manual but the unit wouldn't move period, with the maximum adjustment it is sluggish.
  2. Wreak

Wreak LawnSite Member

21 hours? Did you buy it new? Is it still under warranty? If so, I'd take it back to the nearest Gravely dealer and tell them that you're not happy with it.
  3. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Waste no more time, send it back to dealer and get a "HYDRO" unit. No one can fix belt to any satisfactory degree, it is the nature of the belt system which is ancient and outdated. You would be making a lot a lot more money spending time cutting than adjusting belt, etc.
  4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Did you check the engine to transmission belt? More often than not it is the culplit when encountering drive issues. The drive belts should rarely need minor adjustments and should last a very long time.

My belt drive Exmark is on it's fifth year and has performed up to expectations with very few problems.

RICHIE K LawnSite Senior Member

6. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

On Pro-G's, the issue of the traction belt slipping I have encountered on my own machine. It turned out to be the pivot adjustment bar in front of the operating handles. Too far away from the handles puts to much stress on the belts causing them to wear prematurely. I'm sure this pivoting bar has a more correct name, however, I do not have the manual in front of me.
    I have over 500 hrs on my Pro-G to date. It is a late model '02 I purchased in early '03. I and my crew like it a great deal. I have a single wheel velke that the machine pulls with no problem after I changed the rear tires to bar tires.
    All of my belts lasted about 400hrs in this hot C.Texas climate before needing replacement. Also check to make sure the brakes are disengaged completely when trying to move the machine
  7. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

There is a factory bulletin out that covers many of the belt drive Gravelys. It involves replacing the wheel drive belts, drive pulley on trans. output shafts, and the pivoting bracket on each side. It all comes in a repair kit from Gravely. We have put on three of these kits, (under warranty),for our customers. It seems to eliminate the slippage almost 100%. Ask your dealer to put this kit on your machine.
  8. djnman

djnman LawnSite Member

I contacted my dealer and you all were right! A kit is provided by Gravely under warranty. I was told it takes about 1.5 hours to do the change over.

Mowingman, does the kit also include new belts??
  9. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Yes, it includes new belts that are a different part number than the originals.
  10. ensor

ensor LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Do any of you know if the belt slippage bulletin from Gravely only applies to 02 Pro G's? I have an 03 that I have experienced some slippage with also. Thanks.