Gravely Pro-Steer 36"?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by qball98, Sep 12, 2003.

1. qball98

qball98 LawnSite Member

I was out looking for a new 21" trim mower when I ran across what seems too be a good deal. The mower is a new Gravely Pro-Steer 36" fixed deck with a 13 hp 2cyl Kawasaki motor. List price is $2,549 + tax dealer told me I could have it for $2,138.16 with tax included since it was near the end of season. Here are some of the questions I would like answers too.
    1. Will it replace a 21" in most places?
    2. How well do these mowers mulch?
    3. What is a Bahia/Tall grass baffle kit for this mower?
    4. When they say reverse assist what does that mean?
    5. Are there any known problems that I should be aware of?
    Right now I am using an Exmark LazerZ HP 52" cut and I am thinking this would also make a good backup mower for my operation. The size of the properties I maintain range from 10K too 2.25 acres so using a 21" for a backup would be impossible. Any other advise about Gravely products you could give me would be appreciated.

Thanks

Qball

2. stevo22

stevo22 LawnSite Senior Member

i have the exact mower you are speaking of...i'd say 2100 is a great price...i paid 3150...i had a jungle jim sulky and a double blade kit added...can't tell you how it mulches...never got around to putting one on...i will have one next year without a doubt..bout to start leaf season...getting the accelerator...the only problem out of mine has been this...the handlebar that adjusts to keep the drive levers from going too far forward bent after a few hrs use...dealer said that it is a commom problem...gave me a new one and i put it on in 10 minutes...muffler fell off a couple of weeks ago...my own fault for not routinely checking nuts and bolts...and last...my right side drive belt does not pull as hard as the left...i have tried adjusting it as much as i can...not sure if i am doing something wrong or what...other than that, it is fast, deck adjusts very easy (none of that washer off the castor crap), and cuts quite nicely...the reverse assist is almost like a true reverse...on most belt reverse assist you have to assist the mower while in reverse...the prosteer has a very very strong revers assist...it will just about back out of any mess you get into enough to get out of it...hope this helps you out some...

3. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

I have never owned Gravely but I have a bunch of experience with 36" WB/sulky (eXmark), so I can answer you one particular question.
    Yes, it will eliminate the 21er mower for good, 36" can go anywhere that 21er can, cause I have been using 36" on all my accounts over a season now besides 36" will complement your 52" Z perfectly. Great back up machine. You need to get a sulky to make the 36 out of its full potential benefit, like doing acre, you don't want to walk that baby, absolutely not.
    regards,

4. qball98

qball98 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info. I believe I will go and take another look at it, maybe see if I can take it out for a demo. I had already been thinking about getting a walk-behind next year anyway and this does seem like a good deal. My original plan was to get a 32" because it would be able too get in smaller places and it would be lighter and easier to manuver. Gravely does seem to build a solid machine because this thing is over 80lb heavier that others with the same size deck and motor that I have looked at. I am also really wondering what that bahia/tall grass kit is because I have a couple of places that have bahia grass and if this thing would cut them in one pass at a decent speed then it would be even more usefull. I asked the dealer and he said he has never sold that kit too anyone. I even went to the Gravely web site and they did not show any pictures of it. One other concern is with it being a Gravely because this is the only dealer near me and the next closest one is 45 min. away, but since I will have two machines too choose from this in not as critical. This is what I like about owning my own business there is always something to think about not like the daily grind where all you are supposed to think about is what someone else tells you too.

Thanks again

Qball

5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

PRICE - The price sounds good.

#3 - Maybe try a separate thread about that, maybe someone has one on a Gravely Z.

#4 - Do like I did, demo a few belt drive wb's, then a Pro Steer, bet you'll agree with stevo22 like I do.

If I were going to buy a fixed deck belt drive I would buy the Pro Steer for the reasons stevo22 mentioned about the deck adjust, the reverse and the controls.

6. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

I have a '02 prosteer w/the mulching kit. It works very well. The cut is as nice as any other w/b. What I really like about the mulch kit is there is no more blow out.
    If you put it on yourself, figure about 10-15 minutes.