Gravely Pro Steer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chariot, Nov 18, 2002.

1. chariot

chariot LawnSite Senior Member

Wondering if anyone has had a chance to use one of these. I was looking at it on there web page and it appeared that it was only available on the gear drive model. If this is the case does anyone know if it will be available on the hydro unit in the spring. Thank You

2. KDJ

KDJ LawnSite Senior Member

I tested one today, I like it. This pro steer setup would only be offered for belt drives. (I Think ). Compared to the belt drive pistol grip it's a big difference. You can and will be able to back up. This system is a winner. Easy on the hands and a smooth running machine. I'm sold.

3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I demoed one and I have to agree with KDJ, the system is a winner for sure! The only thing I didn't like was the safety bar, nice comfortable controls, uncomfortable square bar between your hands and all that nice padding!!!

What were they thinking???? :dizzy:

It is not offered with a hydro either.

4. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Same Thing with exmarks New controls With The OPC's Off they feel alot Better. What Was exmark thinking about!
    John.

5. Envy Lawn Service

I forgot to add my 2 cents about the reverse. The Prosteer worked flawlessly. But I can't say the same for the pistol grip ones. One I tried wouldn't pull it's own weight backwards and I could easily stop the other one myself on level ground.

I can't understand how one can pull so hard going forward and have such a weak reverse. Is this common among belt drives or was something just out of adjustment???

6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Its a reverse assist. It is not going to work as a true reverse.

7. KDJ

KDJ LawnSite Senior Member

On the pro-steer - reverse good, it will run you over if your not ready. Unlike the pistol grip, reverse has direct pressure on the belts, Make no mistake it has a reverse.

8. Envy Lawn Service

Yeah, the reverse on it seems unstopable! I believe it would push me around on a fixed sulky in reverse. It's a steerable reverse too!!

I haven't demoed a ton of belt drive walks. But so far, nothing else in a belt drive compairs.

9. chariot

chariot LawnSite Senior Member

Anybody know why it is not available on the hydro unit?

10. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I really like this unit. I only wish that I could get one.

Gravely_Man