Gravely Pro-Turn 260 vs Ferris is2100z

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Zerotermoil, Apr 20, 2014.

1. Zerotermoil

Zerotermoil LawnSite Member

I will am having a 2014 Gravely Pro-Turn 260 with Kawasaki engine and Hydrogear 5400s, and a 2014 Ferris is2100z with Briggs Vanguard engine and Hydrogear 5400's as well. I am a buying one of these two machines this week, and it all hinges on the demos. I have a fairly hilly and kind of rough terrain. I'll be mowing 3.5 acres, and possibly expanding to 7 acres. Does anyone have experience with either/both machines? What specific questions should I pose to either/both dealers regarding their product? I know most people swear by the Kaw engines, but a local lawn care pro said he really likes the Vanguard, and has been running a lot of Kaw's for several years. Any constructive advise and/or opinions would be appreciated.
  2. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

I just bought the Gravely PT260, but with the Kohler EFI option. I can only tell you what I see right now as I have not cut any grass with it is a BEEFY machine. Will last me for years I am certain of that. It makes my Toro Z look a bit like a homeowner mower (even though it is not).
  3. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

Your comparing apple and oranges. Your toro was a medium frame, middle of the road model compared to gravely top of the line.

Just a silly comparison.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  4. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Not if it is the only two machines I own......
  5. JDGlandscape

JDGlandscape LawnSite Senior Member

not sure where his toro is equivalent to the gravely, but the 200 series is not top of the line for gravely..
  6. deltabowhunter

deltabowhunter LawnSite Member

I stopped in a Ferris dealer this past weekend to look at the 700z. I'm trying to decide between it and the regular Pro Turn from Gravely. Anyways, I don't know how true it is, but he said the Vanguard engines from Briggs and Stratton were actually made by Mitsubishi and they were much better than the ones being made by Briggs and Stratton themselves.
  7. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

Vanguard engines are assembled in the Daihatsu diesel manufacturing facility in Japan, and can be considered as probably the top of the line mower engine on the market today, the only thing they are lacking is a closed-loop fuel injection system. I am told their fuel injected engine may possibly be implemented by the fall of 2014.

The Ferris will ride better, but the Gravely 260 is ahead in all other categories.
  8. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Ferris is going to be a better ride for sure. But it sounds like you are using this on your own property and its a larger area. Usually larger ares are not the smoothest so I would go Ferris.

No on engines, is it the Big Block Vanguard you are looking at or the new small one? Both are available on the 2100.

How do you figure the Gravely is ahead in all other categories? Same transaxles, similar engine options...
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  9. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I love the 3100, but the 2100 is not in the same category. When moving from a 2100 to 3100 is like comparing a homeowner grade mower to a commercial grade mower, the 2100 feels and rides like a toy in comparison. The 260 is proven in my area for a very good cut (which you can also get with the 2100), but the difference is with people that cut more properties than their own, the 260 is a step ahead in toughness and longevity.

This is what I've seen in my area, the 260 is just a better mower than the 2100, but not the 3100. Ferris themselves will tell you the 2100 is not a commercial grade mower, I've personally been told this by their factory, as a matter of fact I was told their 2500 was on the border line of what would be considered a full commercial grade mower. The 2100 will give a better ride than the 260, but no where close to the better ride a 3100 can give when in comparison.

I had a friend demo a 2500 just for the fact I wanted him to see the difference between it and the 3100. I knew how he would react, his basic comments were, "the 2500 is far inferior to the 3100," of which he immediately purchased upon demoing. I made the statement to him, "once the dealer delivers the 3100 and you operate it for a while, you will never let the dealer take it back, what would would you like to bet?" It turned out just as I said, he kept the 3100 with the 37 DFI Kawasaki.

He kept telling me he could not believe there could be that much difference in a mower supposedly only one model below; when referring to the 2500. This told me what I already new from experience, meaning if he could see that amount of difference in the 2500 and 3100, the lighter 2100 will show itself as an even lower grade of mower.

The 2100 may be satisfactory for a person only mowing 3 1/2 acres, but I can almost guarantee it cannot hold up in comparison to the Gravely 260. I know of too many 260's running commercially while giving excellent service.
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2014
  10. LibertyFarmLandscaping

LibertyFarmLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NE TX

I would get a Gravely 460 if you can stand the price difference. Better ride than the 260 and 2100 with the air ride seat and rubber isolaters. I feel like the 3100 is just a slightly better ride over the 460 and not worth the addirional cost over a 460 at my dealer.
    Posted via Mobile Device