Gravely Pro-Turn 260 vs Ferris is2100z

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Zerotermoil, Apr 20, 2014.

1. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

How would you figure the 260 (which I just bought) would have a 'rougher' ride than a homeowner grade Ferris?
    Head scratcher....

2. Zerotermoil

Zerotermoil LawnSite Member

I didn't figure it, I demoed it on my property. I demoed a Gravely Pro-Turn 260, Pro-Turn 460 with air ride, Kubota Z725, and a Ferris is2100Z. The Ferris was WAY better than the 260, and was slightly better than the 460 with air ride seat. We put a suspension seat plate on the is2100, and it is so much better than any thing else I tested, it wasn't even close. If you don't believe, me go demo one, you'll be an instant believer. I wanted the is 3100 with big block Vanguard, but just couldn't justify $12K. Got the is2100 for $8299. Can't beat it for the money.

3. DA Quality Lawn & YS

I would but Ferris does not exist around here. Maybe some day.....

4. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

Four wheel independent suspension should from a common sense standpoint ride better than non-independent suspension. I've operated the lower end Ferris mowers and you can believe me when I say the 3100 is far advanced in ride, and I honestly believe this is due to the size and weight making the suspension work even better than on the lighter models.

5. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

Yes the difference between the 2100 and 3100 is night and day. As you know Puppy the 3100 changed my mind about the ride quality of Ferris. The 3100 is more plush than my 452 no question. But the combination of handling characteristics and ride IMO go to the 400 series. I still need to get a Super Z to demo to feel how the longer wheel base feels at high speed!!
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I talked a friend into buying a new 472 yesterday, and they are delivering it tomorrow. Read the post, I am trying to sell the new mulching kit already installed on the mower. He got a very good deal, with the mower came the new mulching kit, and a set of new bar tires.

7. DA Quality Lawn & YS

I would guess that the Gravely deck blows away the Ferris though. That is really what counts.

8. GMLC

Honestly the Ferris ICD deck is damn good too. I still would give the edge to the XF2 though.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Zerotermoil

Zerotermoil LawnSite Member

Well, I pulled the trigger on the Ferris is2100s. After demoing it against the Gravely 260, 460, and Kubota 725, I just couldn't see a significant difference in the quality of cut, but there was a HUGE difference in the quality of the ride. I also had the dealer add a suspension seat. I cannot tell you how awesome the ride is on this mower. An my property is rough. It took a few laps to get the suspension seat adjusted to the right firmness for my weight, but one we did, it's just AWESOME!!! The ICD deck cuts great, leaves yard looking beautiful. Loved the Gravely too, but all things considered, the Ferris just can't be beat.

10. GMLC

Congrats. The ICD is a great deck. Enjoy.
    Posted via Mobile Device