1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Gravely Pro Turn 260 XDZ Won't Stripe

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by NORTHMAN, Apr 24, 2011.

1. NORTHMAN

NORTHMAN LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

Hi,I have a one year old Pro Turn that dosen't stripe andit has a factory stripe kit(rubber flap).I live in NJ so it's northern grass,any ideas,please.Other than that it's a good mower.Thanks.

2. BINKY1902

BINKY1902 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from South

What height are you cutting at?

3. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Let's see a picture of what it's doing so we can help diagnose the problem

4. dgw

dgw LawnSite Bronze Member
    from OH

check the pitch

5. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

New Jersey can have either Northern or Southern grasses. Fescue and Bluegrass stripe very well but many varieties don't. You need to be close to 4" for a good stripe or there's not enough grass to lay over. Are other lawns in your area striped?

6. dgw

from OH

good point to

or if its a bent or fine fescue it wont come out either

7. NORTHMAN

from NJ

Thanks for all the replys.I cut any where from 3"-3 1/2" which in the norm for the area.There are some lawns with great stripes.I'm in extreme northwest NJ,mostly bluegrass and fescue,though my lawns are a mix of evrything including weeds.My customers haven't complained and just want their lawns to look neat,which they do but I want to do more and do the best job I can.I thought about different blades,mabe Oregon G6 Gator blades?Any suggestions on deck pitch?I just saw that Gravely now offers a new stipe kit with a hexagnol roller,I'm going to price on tommorow.I have seen pictures of lawns striped with a Gravely and they look great,I just want to be able to do the same.Thank you all again for your help.

8. dgw

from OH

9. NORTHMAN

from NJ

dgw,thanks,thats what I want to do.please forgive my ignorance but is that 3" measured at the front blade and 3 1/4" at the rear?What blades are you using and what height are you cutting at?Thanks again.

10. dgw

from OH

i do the front of the front blade at 3 inches, when the blade is facing forward

and the back of the back blades at 3 1/4

so cutting at three as long as the grass is manageable at that

im back to regular blades from oregon , im done with high lifts(dont like the cut, and dont see a difference in stripes)