1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

GRAVELY PRO TURN 452 REVIEW!! With Pics!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by GMLC, Mar 30, 2012.

1. mtmower

mtmower LawnSite Bronze Member

My decision is between the Kawasaki 31 hp and the Kohler 29 EFI (I think old hp rating, probably more like 25 hp) I like both engines. I know the Kaw will have the hp and the Kohler will have better gph. My concern with the Kohler is hp. I have the 28 Kohler EFI on my 66" Super Z and it's smooth and reliable but not enough power to bag and push my thatch rake. I know I'm not comparing apples to apples because the SZ has bigger pumps which is drawing more hp. It may work on the 460.

2. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

Check this out! Uses a knob to mount to the deck. No more bungie cords!

003.jpg

002.jpg

001.jpg

3. mtmower

Thanks for the info on the blades and nice stripes.

Def have a look at the 460 before you turn green. The slightly smaller tires and narrower frame on your 160 will cause a little more tearing of the turf than the bigger machines, plus were talking different hydro set ups on the 460 and the Deere compared to your 160, so it's not a fair comparison. I notice the same or less tearing of the turf with the 460 than I do with my Super Zs.

IMO John Deere makes a very nice cutting mower. And I know they rank up there at the top with Scag, Ferris, Hustler, Chopper, etc. Our dealer won't come off the 960 for less than $12,900.00 and I can't demo it first. Personally I don't care for how they look which is a stupid little thing and shouldn't effect it making money. Too many things made out of different materials and bolted on. The MOD option and the electric switch on the sticks for the deck lift are a very sweet option. There is no way a Deere comes close to the ride of the 460. The Ferris and Cheetah may but I haven't had any seat time on them. The fleet discount is just awesome. You can get a loaded 460 with all the attachments for about $10500.00 out the door with 0/48 financing and everything for the next 12 months from Gravely is 20% off. This means belts, filters, blades, another mower, etc. Deere probably does the same financing. Most use Shefield. The Deere would be easily $15000.00 for the equivalent. I've been die hard Hustler for quite a while, and I'm sure the new Z is quite a mower, but after driving the 460 and looking at the numbers I'm finding it hard to even go through the steps of demoing it because it will be a similar deal. Probably also in the $15500.00 range decked out. $5-6k can buy a lot of gas, new equipment, or something that has nothing to do with lawn care!:drinkup:

4. watsmi57

watsmi57 LawnSite Senior Member

glad to see you guys are discovering about Gravely what I already know and love. :) I have had my two a year now and still love them both.

5. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

Gravely is really getting more aggressive and getting the word out. They know the more people that demo the more they will sell. Word is spreading already. Plus the fleet program and 0 percent financing really puts the icing on the cake.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. jimfuel100

jimfuel100 LawnSite Member

What oil will you use? Synthetic? Brand and weight please. I picked up an oil filter when I purchased the mower.

My 460 is at 8hrs and I'd like to change mine.

I'd review the 460 but it is the only ZTR I've ever driven. I have nothing to compare except my 12 year old Sears Poulan Pro.

I will say WOW! The mower flat out cuts grass. I forgot to buckle up and didn't realize it until I was finished.

I drove it to my lot (1.5 miles), mowed 4 acres, drove it back, mowed my .4 acre (home) lot in 2.5 hrs. First time on a ZTR in my life.

I was not paying attention and backed over a news paper (Washington Post) and picked up confetti for 15 minutes.

Jim

7. lawnman3

lawnman3 LawnSite Member

i guess there is a first for everything right????

8. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

Gravely may have hit a homerun with the 400 series, but I still was not impressed with the 260 series. They had no reverse traction, sucked so bad I took the mower back after buying it. Gravely took it back too. Now the 400 series I like , and would demo one when I get ready to buy again. My biggest concern is when pointing downhill can you back up enough to make a turn. The 260 slowed me down trying not to spin the wheels, or slide downhill. I still want to see more pics on hills of the 400 series.

9. mtmower

I have one killer yard that is all my Super Zs can do to stay on and that's creeping, fuel tanks for weight, armrests up and me hanging out as far as I can on the up hill side. The Walker I demoed was bad enough I slid off in to the woods but to be far I didn't check the tire psi ( I like around 10-12). I learned my lesson and I check psi on any mower I demo now. I can have a big effect of ride and traction between just a few psi. Didn't have a chance to put the 460 on it. Only cut on the flat. Maybe someone else can comment on hills. I did notice the 460 runs a 24x11.5x12 kenda brand tire where my SZs run 24x12x12 Carlisles. Basically the same tread just a .5" narrower which in theory should have a better bite since it has more lbs. per sq. in. Oddly the rep said they like to run mid 20 psi and he said he'd be afraid someone may break the bead or peal one off the rim if you got to low. He may have just been covering the company for liability sake.

10. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

I'd drop the pressure to 8 to 10 lbs on hills , but I run 11 in my Exmarks, and 7 in my Outlaw, I've never lost the bead yet, but I don't get stupid on a hill or I'm sure you could probably pop the bead. Some guys run their mowers like their tanks and then have all kinds of issues.