1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

GRAVELY PRO TURN 452 REVIEW!! With Pics!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by GMLC, Mar 30, 2012.

1. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

Congrats again! We have had rain on and off here for the last three weeks. The X-Factor has performed great in wet conditions. I will be doing another update soon as my hours are racking up and Im getting a good feel for my 452.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. trooper8870

trooper8870 LawnSite Member

A diesel unit would be nice!! I would look at the Gravely 400 series a little more if they did.

3. 2stroked

2stroked LawnSite Senior Member

I'm sure they will adventualy incorporate a diesel model into their line up. Gravely has been listening to consumers an really making some great mowers lately. I wish I ha the money to buy one of those gravely 400 series mowers. They seem really nice.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. watsmi57

watsmi57 LawnSite Senior Member

5. mtmower

mtmower LawnSite Bronze Member

6. trooper8870

trooper8870 LawnSite Member

I did find the Kubota Diesel option today. I will be paying a visit to the Gravely dealer real soon!!

7. mtmower

mtmower LawnSite Bronze Member

Not that GMLC isn't doing an awesome job on reviewing the 400 series, because he is, but I started writing a review on the 460 at this thread. Didn't necessarily mean for it to happen this way but you can go to this thread. Hope this further helps someone.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=379728

8. GMLC

Now that I have over 30 hours on my 452 I would like to update everyone on a few things. I'm now very comfortable with the machine.

I have had no mechanical problems or problems of any sort!(knock on wood) Every time I mow I look forward to getting back on this machine. It truly is a pleasure to mow with. The comfort is unmatched in the industry. IMO this is a better set up than a full suspension mower as the whole machine and deck doesn't bounce or move affecting the quality of cut. Gravely has set the bar for all others!

The center of gravity is very low and the machine sticks to hills. I have shocked myself with some of things I have done. Some by purpose some not!! Traction is very good as well. I run 10-12 psi in the rear tires and the fronts are hybrid run flats which have a really good ride and do not require air. They feel to have about 8 psi to me.

The quality of cut continues to impress me as well as my clients. We have had about 3 weeks of on and off rain and I continue to cut because I can! I do not run the chute as the clipping dispersal is much better with it off. The X-Factor deck does like razor sharp blades and is not very forgiving with dull blades like my velocity decks are. The only stringers I have had were in very fine fescue at near top speed. I just slowed down a bit and the problem was gone. I'm thinking of trying high lift blades to see if there is any difference at top speed mowing.

The Hydro-Gears are super smooth and quite. It really is hard to tear the turf. I have been happy so far! I will be changing the fluid and filters at 75 hours. Im going to go with synthetic.

The Kawi 24hp(27 old rating) has had more than enough power. I did my first oil change at 8 hours and it was very easy. Gravely has installed a drain hose and I made no mess. At 50 hours I will be doing my next oil change and switching to synthetic.

Here are some pictures of my machine that I clean every Sunday and some of the hills I mow. Also just some random pics...

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg

8.jpg

9. GMLC

10. GMLC