GRAVELY PRO TURN 452 REVIEW!! With Pics!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by GMLC, Mar 30, 2012.

1. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

When you say choppy is it because of the smoother ride , that allows you to cut bumpy lawns at a faster speed causing more deck bounce , choppy cut?

2. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

I run my Gravely 452(X-Factor Deck) side by side with my Scag(Velocity Deck). Both decks cut amazing in almost all conditions. Honestly the x-factor cuts a little better in dry conditions and the velocity cuts a little better in wet conditions. The x-factor leaves smaller clippings creating a carpet like finish. The velocity has bigger clippings but can make even weed infested lawns look good.

As far as the 452 goes the machine is the best riding in my opinion. The comfort is not matched in the industry. Gravely built this thing like a tank. The frame and front end are massive. It really is industrial strength.

In my signature section I have a link to my work. You can see some good cut quality pics there. Also check out my video of the 452 in action. Also a good look at cut quality.

3. yrock777

yrock777 LawnSite Member

I don't have a mulching kit! Low lift blades just dont "cut it" litterally, in my area with the wildcat...atleast not the stiff weeds in east tn! The g6 blades work fine in good grass, but leave too many straglers in weedy areas in my opionion. The oem scag blades work best if they are razor sharp, but in taller grass I have to double cut becasue it doesn't chop up good enough. The blow out is just too much....I hate it! My dealer set it up to oem specifications which I think is 1/4 inch lower in the front, but Im not 100% on that. I don't know what to do or what the right move is? Ive got it sold if I decide to go through with it. If I do sell, Im thinking either the 452 or 920a.

4. yrock777

yrock777 LawnSite Member

the grass is always greener!haha I guess thats what Im afraid of...taking a loss on my scag and buying the gravely or deere and then realizing I just made a HUGE mistake!

5. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Blade belt jumped off mine when I engaged the blades on the first lawn of the day yesterday. Looked at it and I dont see any wear or marks on the belt so I laid down and put it back on. Worked fine rest of the day and again today. Not sure what caused it. I personally think the tensioner needs to be snugged up a bit.

6. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

I guess a demo would be a wise choice before selling your Scag. Weedy lawns favor the scag. Also you can check your pitch to make sure your dealer did it right. Just park on concrete point your blades forward measure from the tip down on both the front and back of blade. The front should be lower by 1/4 inch min maybe 3/8" max ask a scag owner. Dry dusty weedy lawns are going to get you dirty no matter what you do, but it sounds like the front lip just doesn't stop the blowout enough. Definately compare it with your demo.

7. greengiant9963

greengiant9963 LawnSite Senior Member

No. choppy as getting a lot of stringers on some lawns. Going to try a few different options for blades to see if that helps. Honestly 70 percent of the time the cut is good. The x factor deck underside is very similar to John Deere 7 iron except for the discharge opening for the most part. I run the standard highlifts on the Deere and cut is great. When I tried a medium lift the qulity of cut was not as good.

8. mtmower

mtmower LawnSite Bronze Member

Mine did the same thing for the main deck drive belt. I added a little additional tension to the spring on the idler. Later I talked to Gravely directly and they gave me the proper spring length. It was way off. IIRK it's supposed to be set at like 12.5" and mine was at 10 something. You may want to check with your dealer or call Gravely to verify the measurement.

9. yrock777

yrock777 LawnSite Member

ok....Im buying a new machine today! I can't decide what Im gonna do. Turf Tiger 52 or Pro Turn 452????? I had originally thought about the Cheetah 52 but Im not so sure about the ZT-3400 Hydraulics so thats a no. Decissions decissions

10. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

Tough call. Honestly I love both machines. But if I had to pick one that I would personally run all day it would be the 452 due to the comfort. If employees were running it all day I would choose the TT becuase I wouldnt want them destroying a $2000 air seat!
    Posted via Mobile Device