1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Gravely PRO TURN 460 reviews?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by Chris_NC06, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Chris_NC06

Chris_NC06 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Sanford, NC

I'm looking at a new PRO TURN 460 60" w/ the 31 HP Kawi and a search hasn't turned up much other than GMLC's review from a year ago. Has anyone got any other reviews pertaining to durability and cut quality. I've never owned or ran a Gravely product before either, and would interested to hear some opinions on them. Thanks.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. JDGlandscape

JDGlandscape LawnSite Senior Member

Did you read through his thread at least? It is a really good review that is very very thorough. There are also other people in it that have the same mower that voice their opinions in there. I am in the process that you are looking at a 460 but i am leaning towards the fx750v engine. Go demo one, they are very very good mowers and feel much better than all my other mowers ive had
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Chris_NC06

Male, from Sanford, NC

I'm in the process of it. Page 9 of 53 :laugh:
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

If you go into your profile preferences, you can change the posts per page so you don't have to keep flipping them to read. I have the max at 40 set for me, and it is a lot nicer for reading long threads.

That being said, mtnmower has a 460 with the FX921V 31 HP and 60" deck, and so does ProStreetCamaro. Both have posted about their experiences with them. I know mtnmower did his own review, but I think PSC posted his comments in GMLC's thread only. Do a search using their names, or go to their profiles and search for all threads STARTED by either guy to find theirs.

5. Chris_NC06

Male, from Sanford, NC

Thanks Ridin' Green! :drinkup:
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. jimfuel100

jimfuel100 LawnSite Member

I have a pro turn 460 with the 850v, 27hp motor. I love it. I'm not a pro and only put 50 hours on it last summer but it mows my 6 acre lot and 1/2 acre home errortlessly. Mine is a prototype but essentially the exact same machine that made it into production.
    I have hills and rough ground at the lot and have zero power issues and never want more. I do not mulch or bag though.
    I hope this helps.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. JDGlandscape

JDGlandscape LawnSite Senior Member

Thats good to know. I am pretty sure that engine will be fine for what I do also. So it works fine even at full speed up a hill cutting the grass?

8. jimfuel100

jimfuel100 LawnSite Member

I mow the 6 acre lot every 2 or 3 weeks so the grass is ussually high. The lot is rough, I've used the 460 as a brush hog...2 acres of briers 6+ feet tall and bigger around than my thumb. Also, I've had no problem cutting the small locust trees an inch in diameter. I probably should not be posting how I've been using it the 460 - even though I have no warranty. I've cleared most of my lot with that machine.

Hills:
    I'm not sure what my speed is but I'm full sticks forward and have no issues powering up my hill. The hill is very steep...I should be using a 4wd compact tractor.

I've slid sideways many times and had to turn down hill - my hill is that steep. I'm not able to mow the entire hill with the ztr...way too dangerous. I only mow areas where I have "run out" and I can regain control safely.

That said, I LOVE the 460. I live 1.5 miles from my lot and commute on the 460. By the time I hooked up the trailer, loaded the ZTR and drove to the lot...I could have been there.

I can only imagine what my neighbors (I live in a neighborhood with a HOA) think when I mow my 1/2 acre home lot with the 460 in 10 minutes. Most have no idea what else I use it for.

Good luck in your decision,
    Jim

9. The Groundskeeper

The Groundskeeper LawnSite Member
    from WNY

We bought a Pro Turn 460, 27HP Kohler EFI, 60" cut for our 30 acre facility and LOVE IT! It is an awesome machine, we have logged about 215 Hours on it this summer. I don't have a ton of time to do a long winded review but it has great fuel efficiency, still on original belts, super easy to maintain, extremely comfortable, cuts great, stripes great, EFI is awesome, starts first time/every time. Many adjustments to conform to any operator, Plenty of power even with the 27 horse. I have personally logged 1200+ hours on several different Dixie Choppers and I would choose this machine over them any day, in fact, the other two dixie choppers in our fleet will be replaced with Gravelys.

One thing to note: The blades must be engaged at full throttle or the engine to deck belt WILL fall off. We had to replace one fuel gauge but that was it. Do not hesitate to purchase one of these and if you have a chance to demo one, take the opportunity!

10. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

I have a few guys running them, libertyfarmlandscaping is one that is online here, he bought a 460 60 with the kohler efi earlier this year with a 12 turf tiger trade in after a demo, and came back in this week for a pro turn 52 as his back up trading in a 50x snapper pro that was an 11 model... He has owned many different machines and trades very often, You might pm him and get some feedback, I know after the demo and the way the deck handled the bahaia and dallas grass down here on his properties he is bleeding gravely red.....