Gravely pro150 vs. Toro Proline

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by KD'sLawns, Apr 17, 2001.

1. KD'sLawns

KD'sLawns LawnSite Member

Have any of you ever used the Gravely Pro150, 50" deck with 14hp Kawasaki. Or the Toro Proline 48" fixed deck with the 15hp Kohler? I am looking at both of these models and I need some advice on which is a better mower. I only need a fixed deck as where I live everything is flat and do not have to worry too much about scalping.

2. scottb

scottb LawnSite Senior Member

I can't speak for the Gravely but I really like mine Proline 48" with the Kolher 15hp engine. Mine runs like a charm. This is also the same mower as the Exmark Metro 48" minus the T-Bar steering that I also really like.
    But my advice is to demo both and several more and find a dealer you really like. Good luck with your decision.

3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I have demoed the gravley a while back but I really don't remember what my opinion was. (DUH!)

HOWEVER, they are very popular in my area, probably as a result of having a full time gravely dealer that I get real good reports on.

one complaint that I hear on this forum all the time is that the belt drive system on the gravely performs poorly in wet conditions. I doubt this will bother you in NM.

also, there have been some negative cut quality opinions posted.

personally, I can recommend the 14 KAW.

good luck.

GEO

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

If you plan on cutting any serious grass skip over the 50" 14 hp deck. I have considerable experience with this combo and I have spent almost as much money modifying mine as I did on the mower. The 14 is just not enough to power this machine. You might note in my tagline that I took the 14 off of mine and replaced it with a 17. The 14 works great on my 36" Exmark though.

5. Mark

Mark LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with Richard 14hp just not enough if the grass gets out of control,as far as the fixed or floating decks i prefer fixed decks,if you know how to use them you don't have to worry about scalping. Marks Mowing Service

6. UrbanEarth

UrbanEarth LawnSite Member

I have a 150 with a 16hp Kohler. Good motor (it's an older one!) and good machine. I have never had problems with the belts slipping and have cut in some pretty serious rain. If you have the budget, I would reccomend that you look at the hydro. I would buy that if I have to replace this machine.

Alan

7. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

You will LOVE!!!! the Toro T-Bar stearing controls 1/2 the fatigue and real nice response demo them both to get an idea. I have small fingers and hands and did not like the Exmark, Scag or Encore I demo'd all for 1hr min. and found hard to reach controls and arthritus didnt help then tried the Toro only took 3 minutes and was loaded on trailer. All the other mowers im sure are great machines but with my limitations only one was in that catagory!

8. jannan

jannan LawnSite Member

Tested the 150 Pro last year. A little underpowered & kept throwing drive belts(3 times in the 1&1/2 hours that I used it). Didn't buy it!