Gravely problems, what would you do ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1mowlawn, Apr 11, 2002.

1. 1mowlawn

1mowlawn LawnSite Member

I purchased a new Gravely ZT2250, last thursday night, I used aprox. 2 hours before it started sounding terrible, could barely finish my lawn, at this point I'm totally pissed. I leave a message at the dealer, I won't go into what I said because young children way be reading these threads. The service dept. finds black plastic material in the carb. which ruined the carb. so they have to replace the carb., still runs like ****. After calling the factory they discover that a wrong part was installed in the engines govenor. So gravely is shipping these brand new machines with the wrong parts. I don't know what you guys would do but I blew up ! I demanded a new machine ASAP ! since I've bend down since Friday and mainly because I'm not at all satisfied. I think a different machine or my money back is not unreasonable! They finally offered me a loaner demo model which I love, it has a 23hp kaw, they other machine had a 22hp Briggs commericial.

Response from all you guys- Please !

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

It sounds like you're barking up the wrong tree. What you should do is ***** at the Briggs and Stratton guys. Gravely didn't make the engine, B&S did. I only know of one mower manufacturer that actually starts and tests every machine for up to an hour before giving it to the customer and that is Dixie Chopper. With everybody else it a guess as to what will really happen when you start using the mower.

3. 1mowlawn

1mowlawn LawnSite Member

Your right, but the Gravely Co. decided to use this company for their engine, and they are promoting and selling the total package. I did just buy an engine I bought a complete mower that I expect to operate properly, Is that too much to ask for the amount of money that we pay for new z's ???????? still pissed off

4. KDJ

KDJ LawnSite Senior Member

What I would do is, see if they will take your new mower in trade for the one you like. It may cost you a little cash but it will get you out of that mower. Figure the price difference between the two mower and add 200.00 - 300.00 That should make the deal.
    With the Kaw motor you will recover your money soon.

5. MuskTurfKing

MuskTurfKing LawnSite Senior Member

I can understand ya being pissed, whenever I get something new and it doesn't work right, it TICKS me off. I'd be especially pissed if it were my new mower. :angry:

Hope you get it sorted out.

Hank

6. Grass_Slayer

Grass_Slayer LawnSite Member

they should let you keep that mower since yours is a new one and that is a demo. wait for Barry to say something

7. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I would hate to be a passenger on an airliner that was just delivered from the factory and it was on its first flight. Much more likely to have a problem.

It's too bad this has happened, but very common to have bugs on a complicated machine with many systems.

You shouldn't ***** out the dealer right off the bat, save the expletives and shouting for if they don't fix it right. Or if they blow you off.

If you are nice and the dealer is professional the dealer will want to help you, offer loaners, etc.

Ken

8. 1mowlawn

1mowlawn LawnSite Member

Thanks for all the responses, I do think Gravely is a very good company and feel that they will make all this work out. I do find it hard to believe that this gets thru their quality control processes, as I understand it the problem persist in all these models. I know it's a Brigg engine and gravley does not make engines, but they do have the responsibility to make sure everything is right with the machines they ship out to their dealerships, also I think it should be a policy to let the customer actually cut with the model that they are interested in. If I would have got that chance I would not have bought that machine and it may have broke down at that piont. I just think is unfair they tell the customer don't worry we'll fix it, I still beleive I deserve a different machine or my money back, At this piont I would rather have my money so I could put it towards a different Gravely mower.

9. Mowman

Mowman LawnSite Senior Member

I would tell the dealer that I'd rather have a Kolher or a Robin engine. If he couldn't give me that I'd ask for a refund and go and purchase a Toro,Exmark, or a Walker or any other commercial mower that was in my service area.
    JMHO
    Good Luck,
    Mowman

I also think that the larger Briggs engines are not all THAT, as I think they are made over the ocean, if you know what I mean.

10. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

What ever happen to your problem? Was it resolved in a timely manner?