1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Gravely problems

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bobo, Sep 8, 2004.

1. Bobo

Bobo LawnSite Member

Has anyone had problems with how Gravely/Ariens handles customer service? I purchased (leased) a Pro 48" belt (I know I should have bought hydro) driven walk behind 2-1/2 years ago and had nothing but problems since the start. Most times, the unit would not even climb the trailer ramp without physically pushing it up. We have experienced hundreds of hours of downtime taking it to the dealer (30 minutes away), replacing belts, and fighting with it on properties to use it. The dealer had a different story for the problem everytime and at one point even changed the transmission. Mid summer this year and completely fruasturated, the dealer and I had words about the situation and he informed me that he no longer wanted my business since there was nothing wrong with the machine and the problem was my crews. Dont want my business? ~OK by me as I expect my vendors to treat me the same way I treat my customers and this was not happening. I started making calls to the Gravely rep to get help there. After numerous unreturned calls I finally got an answer. Here's the good part... Gravely has a repair kit since there really is a problem with the pulleys, etc. 1 hour installation time cured the problem of 2-1/2 years.

Naturally I approached the Gravely rep in this area and requested some compensation for all my down/lost time. After a ton of calls again to the rep the response is "sorry". They wont do anything. Except maybe discount a new machine a little. Since the dealer in this area doesnt want my business, and Gravely doesnt stand behind thier product, why would I want to pay for another machine? I'm beginning to think my only course of action to recoup a little of my losses is to sue the dealer in small claims.

My questions... where has the customer service gone? Which manufacturers stand behind thier product and demand thier dealers know thier product? Which machines stand up to the most testing before being released to the dealers? Sad to say since Gravely is the only mower I've known, but I guess it's time to look elsewhere.
  2. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

That is a terrible situation to say the least. This issue should not have gone on for that long. I personally would have gotten Gravely involved after the machine was in for the same thing a second time. I have found Gravely to have wonderful customer service. Hopefully you will find someone who stands behind their product and has dealers who know how to fix issues correctly the first time. Try going up the food chain at Gravely and see if someone else will listen and cares. Please let us know how it turns out.

3. kkat

kkat LawnSite Member

Sorry to hear about your problems, the dealer you were working with doesent seem to be to much of a pro at what he is doing, Im a dealer and take great pride in being able to repair anything that comes thru my doors, As a dealer for certain products, Im kept up to date on everything whether it be recalls or certain problems no matter how small they are . Having to go to schools every year for updates is mandetory, must be that your dealer just doesent give a hoot about you or who he represents, let alone the MFG. theres always gonna be problems and sometimes they dont appear until the equipment is out in the field, I know who I represent for equipment, would have contacted me as well as you when the problem and the repair were solved. But then again it starts at the dealer level
  4. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I have had MANY problems with my gravely dealer...doesnt want to service anything...And each time i take in my machine, he says he fixed it, but it gives the same shitty cut, and he says it must be the grass i cut..>BS
    I am gonna contact gravely

5. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I KNOW HOW YOU FEEL!!!!!!!!!!!

LGSGROUND LawnSite Member

I Bought a Walk behide 1336 in March of 2003 and Up to this season it has been real good. BUT This year I Have nothing but problems. 2 Transmissions in 30 days. Down time and everything else. I fill Your pain
  7. Ray & Karen

Ray & Karen LawnSite Member

I like my Gravely, it is a good machine. It has had a few issues, (to include a tranny) I see a trend her. I refuse to buy another product from them because of the dealer I have to deal with.
  8. Bobo

Bobo LawnSite Member

I know the situation went on to long and I should have personally tracked down the gravely rep after the first few attempts at correcting the problem. The dealer assured me though, that he had been in contact with them and discussed the problems numerous times. I did begin trying to contact the rep early this summer and it took weeks to get return calls from him.

Since I dont see any compensations to be done by Gravely/Ariens, and I am preparing to purchase a new walk behind mower, I'm curious on everyones experiences as far as manufactures supporting their product? I am leaning toward either the John Deere or the Toro. Both have quality dealers in this area and we have demoed both brands with good results. But I am also willing to try other types before I buy.

Thanks to all for your help & input!
  9. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

This just goes to show you how different dealers are in different states.
    I purposely bought Gravely due to the dealer that was in my area. I have a wonderful relationship with the dealer, he supports me extremely well, I have had contact with the rep which wasn't bad plus I like the machines.
    Would I buy Gravely again, yes - because of the dealer support.
  10. McNeal Lawn

McNeal Lawn LawnSite Member

I operate with two Gravley WB, BD 50 and 36 inch. Both WB's are more then 7 years old. Trannys have always been a problem, 50 two trans, the 36 is getting the 3rd tranny now. But never has my dealer given me any problems,
    he has always been helpful and quick to repair my problems with the mowers. I truely believe the problem lies with Peerless transmission. But all in all, the Gravely WB have served me well.