1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Gravely Products

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by T and T Lawn Care, Jan 16, 2006.

1. T and T Lawn Care

T and T Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I operate a small lawn care business in Central Maine. I purchased a Gravely Zero Turn (252) last year and haven't been too impressed with its quality of cut and striping kit. However, appears to be a well built and rugged machine. It does well on uneven ground and gives a good ride. I'm curious how other lawn care professionals who use Gravely products feel about them. I'm looking to purchase another unit, possibly a walk behind and debating on switching to another make.
  2. spcfoor

spcfoor LawnSite Senior Member

I currently use a 36 wb and love it. It is well built and as long as I keep the blades sharp it cuts fine. I don't use a stripe kit so I can't comment on that.
  3. SouthernYankee

SouthernYankee LawnSite Senior Member

34 Gravely z I love it for what it does for me, fits through small gates and does a good job on small lawns.
  4. 2menandamower

2menandamower LawnSite Member

I have a Red Hawk WB and it stripes pretty good for not having a roller on it. You might look into them they are good machines and have the same parts as Great Dane and is easy to work on. They are cheaper than the Great Dane and Scag that is for sure.

5. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

About the quality of cut, make sure you have sharp blades at all times, what blades are you running? (med lift High lift etc) Also, have you leveled the deck front to back/side to side. Some have had cut quality issues and leveling the deck has solved the problem for them. I have a 44z and have been more than happy with it.
  6. T and T Lawn Care

T and T Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Thanks for the comments. I had the dealership put new blades on it at the end of the season when I had it serviced, not quite sure what type (med or high lift)? I will check into the mowing deck being level. Thanks again.
  7. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

i've had a 260Z since aug. of 2003. in the beginning i didn't notice a cut quality problem. now 500 hours later, it's a problem and when i leveled the deck it improved quite a bit. keeping sharp blades really helps too. a lot of the cut quality problems are in taller, thicker grass. i think other brands will cut better. my gravely 36" walkbehind cuts fairly well with doubles in thick, tall grass. you may want to demo other brands, like exmark and see what you think.