Gravely Promaster 300

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by drummond, May 22, 2003.

1. drummond

drummond LawnSite Member

I recently purchased a used Gravely Promaster 300 in good condition, but after a few weeks it does not work well in reverse. It backs very slowly and even full throttle in reverse will not ride over a small 1 1/2 inch curb or up a small incline. It works fine in forward. Any thoughts?
  2. mower_medic

mower_medic LawnSite Member

check the tension on your drive belt . there should be an idler pulley that puts tension on the belt between the crankshaft pulley and the pulley(s) on the drive. a loose belt will be more noticable in reverse than forward.
  3. griffy

griffy LawnSite Member

I just bought a Gravely 48in 15hp Gear
    Pro Series. The fellas at the store said it had great reverse.HA HA!! well i couldnt even back up on to my trailer and got stuck today trying to back it up over a little curb. Does great if going forward but doesnt back up verry well. Another complaint with it is it doesnt seem to hold well if you let go of the clutch it can roll back on top of you. Its my first large investiment, i had been using 22in JD that works great but buisness grew fast this year and thought at the time it would be money well spent.
    Gravely rating from 1-5, 5 being the best i would have to give gravely Gear Pro Series a 3. Unsafe brakeing, poor reverse, limited areas of use. Also the wheels get poor traction they will slip and slide tearing up a yard very easily.