Gravely Promaster 50?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jar06896, Apr 18, 2003.

1. jar06896

jar06896 LawnSite Member

Anyone have any opinions on an older Gravely Promaster 50? Remember, before ztrs? They had two mid-mount drivewheels and a steering wheel(tire) in the rear, front mount deck? I'm considering grabbing an older one as a backup machine, and to do cleanups. It caught my eye b/c it's got a 16 bushel Peco vacuum on back. I just don't want to pick up a headache too. Any thoughts appreciated!:confused:

2. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

Does it have an Eaton Hydro??? They don't last all that long 1000-1500 hrs., and you can start having problems. :) ;) :) ED

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I have one that I bought new in '93, and this machine has given me nothing but great performance the whole time. This thing is built like a tank, runs great, and is used not only to mow with still, but is also used for utility purposes such as operating my Jrco rake. I'm not sur what kind of hydro is on it, but I do know that it's still going strong and is trouble free. You do have to watch what kind of blades you run on those older Gravely decks though, because they have a tendency to clump a little bit under heavy conditions. I run doubles on mine, but had to have the cradles machined to hold another blade. If the price is right, I would recommend it. It's also nice like if you have a whole line of bushe to reach under. That out-front deck is really nice at times for stuff like that. ;)

4. jar06896

jar06896 LawnSite Member

I've got to check into that hydro unit, although I doubt this machine has more than 500-600 hours on it. It is older though, Gravely shows it as a 1984 model. I guess if the price is right.....

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Oh, you're talking about one of the REALLY old Promasters.
    These weren't hydro,, they were stick. I haven't seen one of those around in ages.