Gravely Prosteer Question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by stevo22, May 1, 2003.

1. stevo22

stevo22 LawnSite Senior Member

bought the new prosteer a few weeks ago and had a couple of questions..
    1. running doubles (high lift on bottom, gator's on top), and side discharging...does anyone run a much kit on their prosteer and what kind of results have you found..take the doubles off for the mulch kit etc etc
    2. the mower wants to veer right..after the first couple of times using it the right side would not grap hardly at all...i adjusted the bar that goes down to the belt, can't remember the name, now the steering handle for the right side is about 1 1/2-2 inches further towards me than the left side...when they are both lined up w/ one another the right side will not grab like it should..any suggestions??

2. stevo22

stevo22 LawnSite Senior Member

any gravely prosteer owners???

3. griffy

griffy LawnSite Member

I just got a Gear Pro Series 48in 15hp kaw. How do you like yours? I havent been to impressed with mine yet. Its reverse sucks and the belt seems to slip some which makes it unsafe. I dont like using it that much because on a hill the wheels dont hold and will slide tearing up your yard. I live in WV so we have nothing but hills here. If your cutting large fields that are flat yea its a good mower, but i wouldnt use it on small residential yards or hills. with all that wieght its easy to tear up a yard with the wheels. Its my first big mower and i think that it wasnt worth the money.

4. rookiemower

rookiemower LawnSite Senior Member

I have also purchased a 36" walk behind pro steer gravely recently and the reverse really does suck mine will not back up very well on hills either and the tires also tend to slip mine also tends to pull to the right but not to bad just a hair otherwise the machine seems to be built like a tank

5. j_loppy

j_loppy LawnSite Member

Yeah! I've emailed gravely and they don't even bother with lil' ole' me. I have a pro steer 1548 and just kept adjusting the right side until it pulled better. I've got about 25 hours on it and am starting to really appreciate it. I mow one acct. that is 3.5 acres- all on a hill. The mower got alot of adjustments the first day I mowed with it. Mine tracks straight as a stick, but at first it did not want to pull at all when depressing the right lever. The pully system is very, very slick and does not grip the belt well. There is a laquer of some sort painted on there that is gradually wearing away, and as it does the traction gets better. My theory is that the left side breaks in faster due to the heat coming off of the muffler, and thus grips better. I thought about using a scotch-brite pad on the pulleys, but that would be too harsh. I sprayed them with brake cleaner a couple times and it helped alot.
    hope this helps
    j_loppy