Gravely PT 260 Vs Scag Tiger Cat 61"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by iklepp, Nov 2, 2013.

1. iklepp

iklepp LawnSite Member

I would appreciate some input on which one you would choose and why? I am going to purchase before the end of the year so any wisdom that can be passed along is greatly appreciated. The Gravely has the Kohler efi and the Scag has the Kawasaki Fx. They are priced to close together for that to weigh on the decision.

Thanks in advance

2. aroddy

aroddy LawnSite Senior Member

wellllll since your in New Waverly, I'd pick the scag only because the scag deck handles bahaia grass better AND the distributor for Scag is a hour west of you, which means if your dealer doesn't have a part, he can get it next day UPS or someone can make a 1 hour trip if necessary. Gravely is a good machine, but I give the nod to scag with the kawi with the 3 year warranty vs kohler 2 year, and the cut on the scag, dealer support is huge tho...

3. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

Your comparing apples to oranges here. The 260 is a large frame mower while the Tiger Cat is a small frame mower. This means the 260 is a bigger, faster machine and a huge step up over the Tiger. The Gravely 160 is a small frame mower like the Tiger Cat and is a fair comparison.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

Actually man the gravely with the inside baffles low actually handles bahaia better than the scag. I have heard it from several that have had or have both. You can get kawa fx on gravely too...
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. DXN1EL

DXN1EL LawnSite Senior Member
    from TEXAS

Gravely The EFI will save you fuel

6. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

I would go with the gravely with the efi for sure. The kohler efi is absolutely a smooth low fuel usage sweet running engine. I have the 29efi on my gravely 460. That 260 is much beefier machine than that tiger cat. Don't worry about getting parts for the gravely. If the dealer doesn't have a part they can overnight it. I don't cut your type of grass but like Retrodog above said I have heard great things about the xfactor II in southern turf. I know up here scags dont leave a super fine smooth manicured cut quality so I would never consider one for my area even thought a lot of guys use them here. I always watch these guys and scratch my head wondering why they use scags with the slightly shaggy looking cut they leave behind.

7. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

You couldn't give me a gravely. I'd go with the scag but that's just me.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Church2224

Church2224 LawnSite Senior Member

The Gravely, no question. Gravely makes a damn good unit, and this is coming from a Toro/Exmark guy.

9. baileylawnservice

baileylawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

How about a turf tiger ?

10. aroddy

aroddy LawnSite Senior Member

I have had the older gravely 260 in my shop for a not and it didn't like bahaia too much. But it wasn't the x-factor 2 dueck I think its called. The gravely is a well built machine, I'm not knock in it, but as a dealer you know ow nice it is when your customer has a machine down and getting parts next day normal ups is sweet. Kohler efi is nice. I sell them on my walker and bobcats but I was just thinkin positives for this guys particular choice in machines. If the gravely dealer is good with service and parts then have at at. Either way your getting a great machine
    Posted via Mobile Device