Gravely question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mowingmachine, May 16, 2004.

1. mowingmachine

mowingmachine LawnSite Senior Member

I am looking very strongly at the Gravely PM 252 (52" deck) with either the 25 Kawi or the 27 Kohler. I have several questions. How is the cut quality compared to other major brands like the Exmark? Does the Gravely do well in tall grass and wet grass? How is the reliability on the Gravelys? I looked at and drove a Ferris, Exmark, Grasshopper and Gravely yesterday. After looking at these brands I felt that the Gravely had the best value for the standard equipment offered and performance. The Gravely had the pivoting front end, hydraulic deck lift, bigger engine options for the same price as smaller engine models on other brands and a faster ground speed (13mph). Thanks in advance for any comments.

mowingmachine

2. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

I have the same questions, and would like input on the 60" deck. I would like to know what the deck design is like? Is it similar to the exmark. The machine sure seems to have lots of goodies for the money.

Thanks
    Jay

3. mowingmachine

mowingmachine LawnSite Senior Member

The one thing I did notice about the deck is they are 5.4" deep and have a removable front baffle. With the removable front baffle you can keep the blades nice and close to the front or remove it and leave some space up front. Both have their advantages depending on the conditions you are mowing in.

mowingmachine

4. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I was disappointed in my gravely about a week ago.

Times have changed. It was all "user interface error" It rained ALL WEEK, and my gravely 44z did fine. Three lawns required double cutting, but nothing else did. NO CLUMPS, hydraulic deck lift is awesome, and i only have a 19 horse.

Trevor

5. TheKingNJ

TheKingNJ LawnSite Senior Member

yes i am looking into the Gravely 260Z i would like to hear as much feed back as possible. Has anyone used the Eye-Q system?

6. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

if their z's are like their wb you'll love them. I used a 48" belt driven walkbehind and being "under powered" by my standards with 15hp I'd say it did great. I even went and tested it out on a friends yard where the grass was up to my shins and it did it with no problem and still looked good, the deck for the wb's are a sweet design and do really well.