Gravely Tractor...

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by mkwl, Nov 5, 2006.

1. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

I just got back my new (to me) Gravely 817 tractor from taking it to my dealer for a service and carb rebuild (to get it runnung again). Anyway, it runs great now, but I have one question. When I run it it seems to give a littlw bit of a smell (sort of like burning brakes, but a little different), coming from the transmission area. They changed the tranny oil, and I was wondering if this smell is normal, or if it's not. It operates great, I just wondered if this smell from the tranny is normal or if there may be a problem. This tractor is a beast!...check out the pics on the pictures forum!

Thanks,
    Matt

2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Ask this question over at the Gravely Tractor Club group. it is one of the Yahoo Groups. You will get plenty of answers to any Gravely question you can think of over there.
    You will have to join the group before you can post of course.

3. mkwl

I'll do that, anyone on here have experience with Gravely? :)

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Hmmm, Don't guess you got my PM ?

Check your clutch adjustments both forward and reverse, The reverse clutch may be a little too tight and dragging while going forward. There should be .010-.012" air gap between the friction disc and steel disc with the engagement handle in neutral.
    Adjust by tightening or loosening the 1/2" nuts on the outer plate holding the assembly on the trans.

5. mkwl

Thanks Rob, I'll look into that tomorrow!

-Matt

6. Bigblue250

Bigblue250 LawnSite Member

Rob, you hit the nail on the head. I have fixed more "broken" Gravelys for people, because the clutches were simply not adjusted properly. Get that fixed and it will last you forever. Check out www.oldgravelys.net for a manual.

7. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Yep, Just replaced the forward clutch bearing in one last week from the clutch being out of adjustment.

Have you replaced a PTO clutch ?

Oh, Dig that Sig. line of yours [​IMG]

8. A.D Services

A.D Services LawnSite Member

hey mkwl nice tractor you got there. one question though why did they make it with the motor in the rear and what are the advantages of it being there

9. mkwl

Thanks, the weight placement of the engine and tranny (which together weigh over 700 Lbs), is better in the rear and center for mowing, and especially snowblowing, more traction is accomplished with more weight over the rear tires. :weightlifter:

10. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

The real reason for the engine in the rear, was so Gravely could use their existing line, at that time, of 2-wheel tractor transmissions on the 4-wheel tractors. They did not have to spend money developing a whole new trans. when they decided to jump into the 4-wheel tractor market. The old 2 wheel trans., with the help of an adaptor plate to mount an engine, worked great in the new line of tractors. Yes, the weight distribution was good, but the use of their existing trans. was the real reason for the engine in the rear.