1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Gravely vs. Great Dane

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by turfmgr, Jun 18, 2005.

1. turfmgr

turfmgr LawnSite Member

cant believe im actually thinking of something other than exmark or scag. but, i have noticed an ad down here for a Great Dane 52" hydro wb with pistol grips for $3000, NEW. wondering if anyone has any experience with this mower. also, was looking at the Gravely website the other day and noticed their big boy wb, 52"/17hp, claims an 8.5mph ground speed and they say it will cut at that speed too. let me know if these are worth looking at or if i should just smack myself for thinking of something other than exmark or scag.
  2. daveyo

daveyo LawnSite Senior Member
    from N.J.

I purchased the 48" gravely WB this year and am very happy with it. It has the 15 hp kawi with the pro steer, very nice control with it, I can steer with one hand no problem. Tough machine 7g steel, very durable and a very clean cut. Go to your local gravely dealer and try it out, thats what I did.

O'Donnell Landscaping
  3. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

I bought a Gravely 36" wb with prosteer and love it. I do cut at 8.5 MPH and it's clean. Gravely builds awesome products. Go demo there wb's, you won't be disappointed.
  4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

Just bre sure you got good dealer support for parts, the local dealer had some problems getting parts. I still don't think Gravely has reached the durability level of a Scag.
  5. rookiemower

rookiemower LawnSite Senior Member

Ed i believe your right, the quality has become better than scag! no offense :waving:
  6. turfmgr

turfmgr LawnSite Member

any experience with the Great Dane?? wb, not surfer.
  7. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Buy 2, that way you will have one for parts that the dealer is out of.
  8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Gravely over Great Dane in the walkbehind department no question....

If I ran wb's and was in the market for a new one, here's what I'd consider...

A floating deck hydro and a castor sulky or proslide, either....

Gravely Prosteer
    Lesco (new)

eXmark (possibly/ ECS seems stiff)
  9. Gmgbo

Gmgbo LawnSite Senior Member

i recently replaced my scag w/b with a gravely. The pro H 17hp Kaw. and 52". The gravely is solid compared to the scag, cuts better, and has taken 10-20 min off most of my lawns. Its like driving a tank.
  10. Sky King

Sky King LawnSite Member

I have a 144z Gravely, and I agree it is like a tank, I have hity some stumps really hard I did not see in hi grass and did even scrach the paint.