Gravely vs Hustler ZTR???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by spadamax, Apr 28, 2004.

1. spadamax

spadamax LawnSite Member

I was steered to this forum by another individual that had high praise for the expertise here so hopefull I can get some final direction to my question so I can sleep easier at night not stewing over what to buy!! I just sold a John Deere LX 186 48" Hydro as I was getting tired of taking 3+ hours to mow my 3 acres of yard. I live in upstate NY and there aren't a lot of quality dealers of larger machines butb there are 2 that sell Gravely and Hustler that I am looking at. I don't need the larger 200 series of Gravely or the Hustler Mini series necessarily as spending $6900 and up would probably force me to be sleeping on the machine if my wife found out :) I have been seriously considering the Hustler Fastrac 52", the Gravely ZT2352 (I think it was the ZT - it is the At Home Series of smaller Gravely ZTR's) or a pretty nice upgrade to the 152Z Gravely. My yard is almost 3 acres exact and fairy flat, a fairly young lawn so not lots of trees or mature landscaping yet. My present mower mowed at maybe 3.5 mph and was slow and rough. The Hustlers and smaller Gravely's are 7 mph and the 152Z about 10 mph. I'm not sure I need to upgrade to the larger 152Z if the 2352 will do the job or if the Hustler is a better investment than the 2352. Prices are about $4399 for the Gravely 2352, $4999 for the Hustler Fastrac and $6399 for the Gravely 152Z. Any help any of you could give me on the quality or product, quality of cut, etc. issues to help me would greatly be appreciated. Thanks all in advance. :eek:

2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

If you are going with a homeowner grade Z then step up to the either catagory. The Hustler Fastrak is a good example in my opinion. That is as good as it gets for the IZT hydro drive mowers and the drive system on the Hustler is about the only thing I can see that is not full-on commercial quality. But on the other hand I'm not hearing about drive system problems. The other homeowner machines don't impress me at all.

One step from that gets you a commercial drive system. An example of that one is the eXmark Lazer CT. Anything above that is 100% commercial.

Good small commercial units are...
    Hustler Mini Z 44" / 52"
    Gravely PM 144Z / 148Z / 152Z

Outside your list of MFG's...
    Yazoo/Kees Mini Max 48" (my machine)
    Yazoo/Kees Mid Max 48" / 52"
    Lesco (or) Cub Cadet 48" / 54"
    Ferris IS1000Z 48" / 52" (IS=independent suspension)
    Exmark Lazer HP 44" / 48" / 52"
    Grasshopper 218 - 48"
    Country Clipper 48" / 52"
    Kubota ZG (gas) 48" / 54"
    Great Dane 48" / 52"
    John Deere 48" / 52"
    Scag Tiger Cub 48" / 52"
    Bob-Cat 48" / 52"

If you shop around, you might find a bargain on many of these commercial machines I have listed. Some can be found on occasion brand new for $5,000 and up. I can give you local prices on a few if you like so you can get a general idea. Let me know.

(Yazoo/Kees is also available under the Husqvarna brand name)

Click on out sponsor links and shop around there web-sites

3. McHouck

McHouck LawnSite Member

I just bought a Hustler Z 23/60 for my 4 acres. It is an awesome machine! Do yourself the favor and spend as much as you can to get a nice unit, that will allow you to mow it nice and quick. I didn't want to spend half a day mowing. The Hustler is really nice, heavy duty and is priced right. I got mine from Jeff's Repair outside of Albany (near Schodak). He is building a new showroom and is a real nice guy. He will carry Hustler's only. Good luck!

4. Leisure Lawn

Leisure Lawn LawnSite Member

Look at the Great Dane commercial Z's if you have a local dealer...

Owned by John Deere and they have asome pricing right now with a $500 factory rebate..

100% commercial grade at a very reasonable price!!

5. spadamax

spadamax LawnSite Member

Is there anything wrong with the smaller Gravely's like the 2352? May not be the caliber of the larger machines but not positive I need that at this point? Anyone with experience with this unit? Thanks

6. ensor

ensor LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Spadamax,

You may want to consider the Gravely 34" Commercial Z rider (PM 34Z). It is full commercial quality and can be had for around $4000. There is a dealer in Michigan who will ship it to you. Even though it is 34" it will mow your yard quickly and it is a commercial model, not a homeowners version. I bought a Gravely walkbehind from them and had it shipped. It worked out great and I'm very happy with mine. Let me know if you want more info.

7. spadamax

spadamax LawnSite Member

Can you tell me the name of the Michigan supplier?

8. spadamax

spadamax LawnSite Member

9. Leisure Lawn

Leisure Lawn LawnSite Member

The Gravely 34" is a toy compared to a real commercial machine..

Spend a little extra $ and get a true commercial machine like ExMark, Great Dane, Scag etc...

10. spadamax

spadamax LawnSite Member

Just talked to our local ExMark dealer and they have the 52" CT on sale for $5500. Is this a good machine and a good price for that unit?