Gravely vs. Hustler

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mad_wrestler, Mar 29, 2005.

1. mad_wrestler

mad_wrestler LawnSite Senior Member

I need ya'lls opinion on these three mowers

'05 Gravely 34Z 15 hp Kawasaki for $4200
    '05 Hustler Mini Z 44" 20 hp Kawasaki $5880
    '05 Hustler Super Z 60" 25 hp Kawasaki $7250

Which one is the biggest bang for the buck. Which one would you choose and why? Thanks

2. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

The Gravely 34 is a known rut producer. Little tiny skinny tires. I like Gravely. My PM 260 is a great machine. Scag has a new 36 I am thinking about buying soon. much wider rear tires.

The hustlers, I have no experience.

3. mad_wrestler

I was talking to another guy that said the same thing about the ruts. Seems like I'm wavering towards the Hustler. Which one is still in question?

4. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

Although I haven't used the Gravely in question. I don't believe you will be disapointed in the Hustler Super Z.

5. mad_wrestler

Are these good prices? Prices that I should not pass up?

'05 Gravely 34Z 15 hp Kawasaki for $4200
    '05 Hustler Mini Z 44" 20 hp Kawasaki $5880
    '05 Hustler Super Z 60" 25 hp Kawasaki $7250

6. lampeslawnservice

lampeslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

Those seem like awfully big jumps in mower size what are you looking to do? If your looking at the smaller units check out the scag website. Don't have any experiance with them but they look to be built tougher and smarter than the others. Myself I have the super Z and love it!

7. hillndale

hillndale LawnSite Member
    from Maine

'05 Gravely-- 15HP-- 34Z-- 21 x 7-10--- 4299.00 -- 725lbs.
    '05 Gravely-- 17HP-- 44Z-- 20 x 10-10--- 4799.00-- 830 lbs
    '05 Skag -- 19HP-- 36 Z Cat-- 23 x 8.5-12 --- 5299.00 -- 873lbs.
    '05 Skag -- 19HP-- 42 Z Cat -- 23 x 9.5-12--- 5999.00-- 883lbs ?
    '05 Hustler -- 19HP-- 44 Mini Z-- 23 x 9.5-12 --- 5999.00 -- 995lbs.

Which one of these would rut the least? Narrow tires vs weight? And what makes the others worth 1000.00 plus that much better.

There's also the Gravely 144 (bigger frame, engine tire etc) 5299.00

Gravely does seem to give more for the buck---- (Gravely prices vary the most between dealers also.)

I'm looking for a smaller Z myself, but with this kind of spread it makes it hard. Now I look at dealer support & quality of materials & workmanship.... Then I go buy a WB. LOL

8. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

You are comparing apples and oranges here. Hustler is a premium machine, where the Gravely is just so so. We have ran over 20 brands of machines over the years and I found Graveley to be the worst by far.

9. mad_wrestler

---The 34Z was intended to be my one and only mower. It would be able to get through small gates and be able to handle a good size residential lawn. Use that one for awhile then get a bigger one for bigger properties.
    ---The Hustler mini Z would basically do the same thing except for gates that are of course smaller than 44" wide. I would just have to eventually get a smaller mower for backyards.
    ---The Hustler Super Z 60 would be my primary mower. A buddy of mine has a 60 and he said that he loves it. I asked about smaller lawns and he said that it really isn't a problem once you get used to the mower. And then I would still need a mower for back yards.

If the Super Z is a really good deal then I will get it. I plan on needing a big one in the future anyhow. Hopefully that helps explain what I am trying to do and ask. If not let me know .Thanks

10. mad_wrestler

Man you guys are awesome with your replies. I am learning a lot from all of you.