1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Gravely VS. Lesco walkbehind mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by winterparker2b, Apr 15, 2002.

1. winterparker2b

winterparker2b LawnSite Member

Im considering a new walkbehind, either Lesco or Gravely:

Lesco (P/N 703685)
    48" gear drive
    Kawasaki 15 HP
    5 spd. plus reverse
    $2560 (w/ tax and mulch kit)

Gravely (Pro 150)
    50" gear drive
    Kawasaki 14 HP
    5 spd. plus reverse
    $2760 (w/ tax and mulch kit)

Both are belt drive (of course), both about same size cut, similar engines, the Gravely has there extremely easy cut hight adj. , the Lesco has a "shim" style adj. , close on price.

Now heres my deal, how well do the Lesco's mulch. I had an older (6-7 yrs) Gravely 36" 12 HP Kohler that I really liked. I have neaver seen anything mulch as well as it did, and I want something that will mulch just as well if not better (if theres such thing).

Please let me know what you all think, especially if you have run both of these! Thank you much.....
  2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I would pass on both of them. If you must have a Gravely get one of the new 2002 mowers. They are a much better mower than the old Pro 150. You'll be able to tell it's one of the new one's because they only come in a 48" cut. The old 50" deck leaves a horrible cut at any speed above 2nd gear. That 50" Gravely is last year's mower and should be a lot cheaper than that. Also the 50" doesn't mulch at all. The new 48" does.
  3. Bunton Guy

Bunton Guy LawnSite Bronze Member

Gravely over lesco if you have to....but I would buy a Bunton if I were you !
  4. glowman

glowman LawnSite Member
    from mo

Gravely! I bought a 1336G 13HP Kawasaki 36 inch. I also looked at the larger models and I think they come with the stripping kit. The 36 inch belt drive operates and cuts really nice. If you ask they might drop 100 bucks off the price. I paid $2089 for mine and the larger models were not that much more, Maybe $200 to $300 more at Feldmens Here in Kansas City. Good luck
  5. wesLESCO48

wesLESCO48 LawnSite Member

i dont know about gravely's but my 48' lesco hydro doesn't
    mulch at all it just builds up at the discharge side and falls on the ground in clumps whether its wet or dry grass. on my lesco i could only get a plate to block the discharge, no baffles. i have heard good things about toro and exmark, but i have no first hand experience.
  6. I wouldnt go either way. I would uy from these brands on wb. Hustler,ferris,exmark,toro. All these brands are top of the line and in no order. remember dealer plays abig part in it
  7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

The new model Gravely's should be really good. I wouldn't get the older style.
  8. Eng Mwr Guy

Eng Mwr Guy Gravely Manufacturer

Buy Gravely and you will likely be happy. The new WB should stack up extremely well against the competition.

Course I am biased.

Gravely Guy

FWIW, Wishing all of you the very best.
  9. MrUPS

MrUPS LawnSite Member

May I ask you guys what a good price for a 48" Wb 15 Hsp Kawasaki belt driven would be??
  10. mac43rn

mac43rn LawnSite Member

I say this becuse I have one of the new gravely's. The thing has been in the shop three times, and is going back on friday moring. The main problem, before today, has been the height adjustment. You cannot change the deck height without working up a sweat. Now the engine is leaking oil. I have had this mower since february. The problems have been pointed out for over one month and still no resolve to the issue. I even purchased an ariens push mower. After three different mowers (I could not find one that had all four wheels touching the ground on an even surface). Funny thing about it I had one of the "tech support" members of ariens/gravely tell me, "even if only three wheels are touching the ground, there is no effect on quality of cut." I find this had to believe. My advice to you is:
    1. Do not get a new gravley, especailly if you plan on making a living.
    2. Get an exmark

-If anyone has any other questions you can email me direct at 43mac@adelphia.net

The response here is nice, I will answer any questions privately. Doing so here could hurt a few reputations.