Gravely vs. Snapper

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by climber, Apr 25, 2007.

1. climber

climber LawnSite Member

I am looking to get back into the business again. Im unsure though on which to get. A Gravely 36" hydro or Snapper 36" hydro. The price is about a $700 a difference at the local dealers gravely being $4300 and snapper $3600... Any input would be great. And please non of this o get an exmark, scag, JD etc... Please focus on these two thanks.

Dan

2. climber

climber LawnSite Member

Any thoughts... :confused:

Dan

3. RICHIE K

RICHIE K LawnSite Senior Member

I use only GRAVELY and love the brand

4. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I love my new Gravely so far! I like the fact they have cast iron spindles vs. aluminum like the Snapper has. Their product line seems to be very heavy duty.

5. climber

climber LawnSite Member

Thanks for your input guys... I also agree that Gravely is more heavy duty... I just sold one last year it was gear though. But I like the fact that Gravely has the bigger wheels which spreads out the weight out more so less soil compaction.... But I cant seem to justify the extra $700 more for the gravely over snapper... Because we run the snapper 21" pro models and they have served us right for along time!

Thanks
    Dan

6. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

I have to agree and say Gravely on this one. In the long run you will get your moneys worth out of the gravely.

7. climber

climber LawnSite Member

Ya Im leaning towards Gravely too.. but I have to persuade my brother toward them too... the situation here is that he wants to make money over the summer to buy a dump truck to get our tree business going. So he doesnt want to pay 3-4k for a mower and only pay that off over the summer and not make any capital for the dump.

Dan

8. ProStreetCamaro

:confused: I dont think $700 is going to break the bank if your talking about dropping serious coin on a dump truck?

9. climber

climber LawnSite Member

Ya I agree but my brother is still in college and has to finish out this summer to graduate and thats 5k in summer classes soo.... I would like to get the gravely and so would he but we dont know if this is going to be a one summer deal.... If it is then why spend the extra $700 if not needed. But thanks for the input.

Dan

10. ProStreetCamaro

Oh ok well that makes sense now. Snapper has made fine machines for many years so I am sure it will do well for you. Just out of curiosity are you going to be getting a new dump or a used one? I cant see makeing enough money cutting lawns with 1 36" mower in 1 summer to be able to buy a new dump truck.