Gravely Walkbehind

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ensor, Aug 14, 2003.

1. ensor

ensor LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

I don't hear much about the Gravely gear drive walkbehinds on this forum. I am considering purchasing the 48" 15hp Kawi (new)and wondered what experience folks out there have had with the '03 version (updated this year I believe). Seems like a well built, well thought out unit. Any thoughts on comparison to Scag, Exmark, etc.? Thanks.
  2. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

gravely is very popular in my area. there is a big gravely dealer and I suspect that has something to do with it. I dunno anything about the new gravelys but the older belt units I have used were OK. almost universally, however, the units I used slipped the belts consistently under wet conditions. you might check and see if the new gravelys have improved on this.

3. j_loppy

j_loppy LawnSite Member

Got just what you are looking at/for the 1548 prosteer. I love it. Many folks have had problems with the rigging on the prosteer, just as I have. Mine was so out-of-whack when I got it I almost cried. It took me about 10 hrs of adjusting/using it to get the hang of it. My next one will be a hydro, mainly because I get sick of the brake squeal on slopes. I use a sulky with no problems and it cuts almost too good to be true.
  4. stevo22

stevo22 LawnSite Senior Member

ive got the 1336 prosteer...the prosteer takes alittle to get used to...if i had it to do over again, i would save some more money and wait to get a hydro...i do like the gravely...bout the only problem that i have had is the right side drive belt...either it is stretched at to heck or i have not adjusted it correctly...the right drive lever is adjusted almost all the way out and still does not pull as hard as the left...going to take it back to the dealer to see if they can correct...also the adjusting handle bar is said that it has been common on the prosteer...he said to bring it in and will swap in 20 mins...
  5. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

I have a '02 ProG 36" wb with the pro steer. Wouldn't trade it for another machine - even a hydro.
    It took me about 5 hrs to get used to the change from pistol grips to the Pro steer.
    I maintain turfgrass in a variety of situations, once I figured out the belt tensioning, and it didn't take long, I am very happy with my purchase.
    Best way to put it - without hesitation I would purchase again what I have now.
  6. Craig T

Craig T LawnSite Member

I demoed a 36" prosteer back in May. I did not like the controls or the gear drive to fast or to slow. Bought a new Exmark 36" hydro and have been pleased ever since. Spend the extra for a hydro.