Gravely walkbehinds?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Dec 2, 2002.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Do any of you use the new models? Are they good machines?

They look to be very heavily built and the specs say they are fast which could be nice at times. I just wonder why they don't offer the Pro-Steer style controls on hydros too.

2. Piedmont Lawn

Piedmont Lawn LawnSite Member

Don't recall where I read it but something is forth coming for the hydro's. Have you been to look at them yet ?

I need to get buy and look at the new ZTM's.

Later
    Kelly

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Do a search on gravely w/b's. Barry from Gravely designed the new machines and they are really nice. He got suggestions from many of us here on LS. I looked at them early this year and they are very well built. But as before, demo!

4. Envy Lawn Service

I did a search first. I didn't come up with much. Maybe all that info was on the old Gravely forum and is no more...

As far as looking at Gravely, I have. but when I went by the dealer I was much more preoccupied by the ZTR's. I scooted around on the PM 260Z and yacked my mouth a while. I wasn't really considering WB's at the time.

Anyone got anything to add?

5. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I really like the new walk behinds. 65hoss is correct that Gravely has made a lot of changes to their latest line up and I for one really like it. I am still hoping that Santa will find a way to put one of these under my tree this year. Find a dealer and demo one if you can!

Gravely_Man

6. Envy Lawn Service

I did call the Gravely dealer today to get some prices. He only priced the belt drives. I said could you price the hydro's too? He said he doesn't have any in stock to price because they sell so few of them compaired to the belt drive.

I said that was strange. He said yeah, they have made the belt drives so nice and have come so far with the design, no belt slipage, so forth and so on. So they have very few that will pay around double for the hydro.

I'm gonna go down and take a look when I can. Heck I even like there fixed deck design. It looks like it would be easy to adjust the cutting height and such.

7. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

You are quite correct on the fixed deck. It is very easy to change the cutting height. Please let us know what you like and what you don't after you check them out.

Gravely_Man

8. Envy Lawn Service

I'll do that!!!

While I'm looking at the walkbehinds, I'm going to give the PM 260Z a second look. They also have in the new compact 100 series mowers I think. I'm eager to check those out too.

Any truth to the gear drive story?

How does this price sound?

Pro G 15/48 $2,699 + Tax

9. Raff246

Raff246 LawnSite Member

Envy,

Have Gravely 48" WB belt drive. Machine cuts nice. Purchased new this June. Every 50hrs +/- in the shop for transmission. Dealer has been good, just as frustrated as me with Tranny problem. If I were to do it again I'd get hydro. Big Gravely dealer up this way, and according to dealer all having transmission problems. Model Pro-1548G. Tecumseh Transmission.

10. Envy Lawn Service

Raff246,

Dang!!! That don't sound good! I'b be expecting a new tranny pretty quick I I were having that much of a problem. Why haven't they already installed a new one to end all that running back and forth??? Not to mention down time you've surely suffered!

I'd have that dealer on the phone with Gravely and Tecumseh right quick like! The thing is under warrenty and if they can't fix it to your satisfaction, the tranny should be replaced or you should be able to get new unit alltogether.