gravely walkbehinds

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by snapper, Sep 6, 2003.

1. snapper

snapper LawnSite Senior Member

I am getting an older model gravely 50" belt drive w/b tommorow. I have read the decks are not the best, but i am use to a craftsman so it should be no problem. Now what about the rest of the mower? Are they pretty good? it will be used to mow a fex yards in the neighborhood, which my craftsman use to. So are they a decent mower?? Thanks guys!!
  2. chipk1

chipk1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

I have an older Gravely Pro 36 belt drive w 15 hp Kawasaki. Works great. Running Doubles Gators over stock lift blades.
  3. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

The old style 31 spline transmissions can be problematic and usually require replacement after a couple of years. The front caster bushings wear out quick. If the front casters are the single side support type they bend up easily. The front wheel bearings go out quick. The micro switches in the handlebars go bad on a regular basis. The 50" deck in addition to producing a poor cut tends to crack in the discharge area.
  4. snapper

Well i got it. It is a model 988059 serial 001293, kawasaki engine fc420v. Any idea how old? And where to find a manual for it? Only probs are a spot on the deck needs some welding and a spindle needs to be replaced. The wheel belts look a little weathered cracked, but still pulls great. I will proably give him no more than 200$ And like you said high grass is clumpy, but still better than a craftsman. So price sound bout right?? Any idea bout age and getting a book??

Thanks guys!!
  5. polecat63

polecat63 LawnSite Silver Member

I have a three year old 50" gravely. The cut is great as long as conditions are perfect. Wet or tall then the cut s uc ks. It cuts even, but clumps bad. Replaced a spindle, and a tranny so far and that isn't good for a three year old machine. It has run perfect this year so far, but I don't want to jinx myself.
  6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I would hazard a guess that the mower was built in '98. Manuals are available from your local Gravely dealer (you'll get to know him real well) or from the Gravely website at
  7. snapper

I doubt i will now him good. Most of the belts i can get from a friend, who can get after market stuff, a few things i proably will. But i have always seen good things about gravelys. It just depends what you are use to. On my end of town you see alot if gravelys, cause that is the major dealer. Now what kind of price am i looking at for a spindle?? Can i just put in bearings??

Thanks guys!!
  8. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

snapper, i've got that exact model here myself. i picked it up about 4 years ago for $900 off a dealer as a used model. I'm not sure about the age, myself as i didn't get any documentation with it either.

I've always gotten replacement belts from an auto parts store, I replaced my tranny this spring, which was about $225+/- and 15 minutes of wrench time doing it myself. I recently bought new blade cradles (2" to 2.5") off my dealer and it greatly improved the cut quality. It's not the greatest model for wet or tall grass, but its leaves a great cut when conditions are dry/damp. It stripes pretty good also.

Let me know if you want any more info on teh model.
  9. snapper

Hey gravely guys, know any where to get the wheel belts other than a dealer? The gravely price was scary(said somthun around 40 bucks, don't no if is it was one side or two, i thought he maeant one)... But other than replacing the spindle bearing, it mows fine. I hop the other bearings last a while cause it was no fun changing them..

Thanks guys!
  10. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct