Gravely WB and striping

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ThreeWide, May 8, 2004.

1. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

This is common knowledge to some but might be useful to others.

Been having trouble getting stripes in fescue with a Gravely 36" Pro G WB. I have the Gravely striping kit as well as a home made chain striper on the back. I had poor results up until today, so I started looking into deck pitch.

This model seems to have no natural deck pitch from my measurements, nor does it have specific pitch adjustments. It is a fixed deck with manual height adjustment, so instead of having the front and back settings the same as I thought would be normal (3 inches) I tried the front at 2.5 and rear at 3.0 It is adjustable at 1/2 inch increments. All of the sudden....nice stripes that are very pronounced. So it seems that deck pitch is a huge deal when it comes to striping.

I've read here that all you need for pitch is 1/4 or 1/8 inches, but in my case this is the only way to accomplish it.

If there is a better way to acheive the necessary pitch, I'm open for suggestions.

2. rookiemower

rookiemower LawnSite Senior Member

turfunlimited funny you say that, i picked up my stripe kit Fri. (yesterday) cut grass all day today and that thing did'nt stripe for sh!t. i was royaly pissed off, $50 something bucks for nothing. i could have made that for nothing with an old truck mudflap, i'll have to try the pitch thing, but does it cause belt wear or anything, also i cut at 3" so should it be three in the back and 3.5" in the front? thanks

3. rookiemower

whoops did'nt see that you explained height. i'll try it tomorrow

4. hartlawnmain

hartlawnmain LawnSite Member

Rookie...I think you have it backwards. The back of the deck should be higher than the front.

5. rookiemower

thanks i just read up on it, in another post

6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I dunno about that... I used to 'think' I had it all figured out. Then along came a new mower and blew all that out the window! I'm not sure what it is that makes a stock mower stripe better. I think it depends on the unit.

Deck pitch appears to have absolutely ZERO effect on the stripping ability of my mower. When I took delivery it was not set up properly. The rear of the deck was actually 1/2 lower than the front! Striped fine. Being excited about my new mower, I didn't discover the pitch problem until I started trying to solve my blowout problem.

There I was thinking man it's really going to be on when I correct this. WRONG! It's been set everywhere from 1/2 low in back to 1/2 low in front with no noticeable difference.
    :confused:

Glad the pitch helped you out though!

P.S. Try getting the finer than 1/2" pitch adjustments by raising/lowering air pressure in the tires.

7. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

Gents, not sure why you are having so many problems striping with the Gravely. I'm thinking it may have something to do with the fixed deck. I have the floating setup and when it was stock (less the proslide and custom striping roller) with only the factory supplied kit it did a great job. now with the addition of the slide and roller the results are sick. Oh, and another note, mine had a 1/2" pitch from the factory. I can lessen or increase this instantaneously by using another the different holes for height adjustment. I suggest you make a roller. Do a search as I did a write up on making one.

8. dwost

One more item, make sure you do the mod to fix the pully height. (again do a search as I posted the procedure) If you don't and you are raising the rear of the deck higher you WILL end up with premature belt wear.

9. ThreeWide

ThreeWide LawnSite Bronze Member

Striping is just naturally tougher to achieve in the South because of our grass selection. Fescue is ok but does nothing like the bluegrass and ryegrass in the cooler zones.

With that understood, we still should get moderate results. I read the operators manual and found nothing on pitch adjustment on the fixed deck. My dealer knew nothing about it either. I plan on placing a call to Gravely tomorrow just to confirm.

Thanks for reminding me about the mods, I wasn't sure if the 2004 model required it.

10. dwost

Hey Turfunlimited, I agree that you face a togh task striping in the south. I also agree that you should see some results on those grasses. If you are calling Gravely, ask for "Gravely Tech Services", specifically Jim Schoelles. He has helped me on several occasions with questions I've had.

As for the changes to the 04' models, I don't think there is a difference. I spoke to the engineer directly that designed the deck and it hadn't changed as of the end of last year. With that said, this may have been for some of the models that were already released to dealers. Some of the newer ones may have the fix. In any case, check into it and see what say.

Oh, and one more item you may want to consider. I upgraded from the 16" stock tire to an 18". This gives you an additional 1" increase in height in the rear. You can leave the deck level and by adding the tires you'll gain the pitch automaiclly. Just a thought...:) Keep us posted on the status of your findings.