Gravely wb- poor brakes or bad mech.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kmeforou, Mar 17, 2004.

1. kmeforou

kmeforou LawnSite Member

I just picked up my new Gravely wb yesterday and was on my way home when the brakes did not hold. The unit slammed into the back of my trailer,breaking the expanded metal on my new trailer and scuffing up the paint on the handles of the new unit. I know a unit will move some, when not tied down, but for the brakes not to hold at all was something else(I figured unit might move a couple of feet in my six mile trip home). This happened only about a mile from my dealership. I have had Toros in the past and they would not do this ,unless I neglected to take care of the brakes. However, being brand new, I felt I would not have to concern myself with this. I contacted Gravely and told them that I felt that it was either defective brakes or a poor mechanic that took care of this unit. In either case, I felt someone other than myself should have to pay for the damages. It seemed like Gravely may be trying to pass the buck. They said they will be contacting their agent in our area, but from the sound of it, I have my doubts. If Gravely does something about it, I will update you on what they have done for me.
  2. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

The brakes are the first thing I check when buying/hauling a new WB. I never trust whoever set it up, to have done it right. (never hauled one without straping it down)
  3. GPDesign1

GPDesign1 LawnSite Senior Member

any chance that maybe it slid on the trailer?
  4. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

I know mine would always slide if it wasn't strapped down, and my brakes are always adjusted right.
  5. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

First of all, all I run are Gravely's. This new wb, is it a ProSteerG? The reason why I am asking is these ProSteer's take a bit of getting used to.
    With the handles set in a less aggressive traction position, and with the mower bouncing on the trailer, I can easily see why this machine moved.
    With regards to Gravely warranty service, all I have ever seen is excellent support. I won't bore you with the details, however, I will continue to purchase Gravely due to their outstanding support.
    I figure you will tie equipment down from now on.:)
  6. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

haha, wait a second here. you want gravely to pay for the damages you incurred because you didn't secure your equipment? ahahahaha.... man, i needed a good laugh. thanks.
  7. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

The breaks on a mower are defintly not like an emergency break on a car. They will still move a little. Try not using the breaks and putting the machine into gear during transport.
  8. kmeforou

kmeforou LawnSite Member

The unit was in gear. I have used Toros and they do not slide like what happened to me. I have asked other dealers and they said they might move but not to this extent. I knew that it would move, but to move at such velocity that it broke the expanded metal tells me that either the brakes failed or they were not adjusted properly by the dealer. By they way, the dealer put this unit on my trailer. If I had used the unit for a short time, I would have checked the brakes and would have felt it was my fault.
  9. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

First of all, the brakes probably didn't "faiL". It's simple discs with a friction band on em.

I use toros too and understand what you're saying. But the simple precaution of tugging on the mower when you (or anyone else) put it on the trailer would have told you if the brakes were adjusted properly. I always do that even when I know my mower is set up right, just to make sure nothing's come out of adjustment.

Yes, the mechanic probably didn't set it up quite right, but you contributed by a) not properly (and legally) securing your load and b) not simply checking them before you drove off.

Scratched handlebars and some broken welds on your ramp are a small price to pay for a lesson learned. Secure your load or drive at your own risk. The handlebars are a non-issue, and the repair to the trailer should be inexpensive.
  10. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

If I understand this right the breaks were locked and the mower was in gear? When the mower is in gear the you squeeze the breaks it put the mower in a neuatral state. That was we do with beltdrives when we are mowing and we need to back up....sqeeze the breaks and pull back on the machine. If thats the case then the machine is doing what its suppose to just as mine do. You you put the machine is geer and dont put the breaks on then it will lock the wheels from moving freely.