1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Gravely Weld Crack

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bigred2, Oct 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

I agree to a point but when do you draw the line on the time you'll lose and the potential money you could also lose? For something as simple as this little problem, I totally agree with Ed. If it were a wheel motor leaking or a poor cut issue or anything along those lines then it should be taking to the dealer. The cost to clean up the area, weld, grind, prime and paint would be much cheaper in the long run. The trick to it all is to inform the manufacturer of the problem in detail on the phone when convenient for you so you don't have down time waiting for the dealer to fix the one before yours before he can fix yours. Take pictures with dates on them and send them in e-mail when convenient. If I saw a cracked weld on the mower, I'd clean it up and weld it back together.
  2. The Gardener's crew

The Gardener's crew Banned

I too purchased the same gravely and I am very disappointed. The machine is a lemon. First of all, I am a professional landscaper. I've run six different brands. Gravely have great zero turns (260z) but this 400 is a joke. Front end is cracking. Front caster wheels bearings keep going out. Air bag in the seat has been replaced twice.Deck idler worn. Hydro reservoir cracked. Governor running wide open. Muffler shield fell off. The ENTIRE MUFFLER SYSTEM fell off. Machine is at my local dealer now for warranty repairs ( a year old). We run machines all day long so it doesn't matter to me as long as the mower is fixed. But I can understand someone who has just gotten into the business or a home owner expecting a new mower. Gravely was my preferred choice but since the introductory of their so called top of the line 400 they have lost my confidence. Looking to purchase three more units but in my area there is a limited choice of competitors (warranty work, time and speed)to choose from.
  3. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Well that really sucks and it sure does sound like you got a lemon. I have had 2 460's. The first one I put 450 hours on the first year then decided to trade it in on another new one but this time with the EFI kohler to help save fuel. I have 250 hours on the new one now. I have never had any issues out of either machine. I have 1600 hours on our 160Z, 2100 hours on our 34Z and we had a pro-50 walkbehind we had 3200 hours on when we sold it. All of these have had very minimal issues.
  4. retrodog

retrodog LawnSite Silver Member

I have seen frames broke, and decks broke on all brands of machines that you guys run, some with 10 hours on them, and some with 4000. You weld them back, touch up the paint and roll on till it tears up again. Robotic and human alike. Honestly that is all warranty is supposed to do. If it happens in same place 2 or 3 times more, then it turns into a bandaid fix and they start looking at replacing a frame or deck, but that is why warranty is what it is. I can tell you this, no matter the brand, guage of metal, plates, etc, there is not a brand of mower on here that can come on here and say "we have never had a weld break or a deck or frame...). And I will bet quite a bit on that statement....
  5. DXN1EL

DXN1EL LawnSite Senior Member
    from TEXAS

Couldn't have say it better. Is made out of steel, it can be weld as many times you want. I personally will be worry if it was made out of wood. :cry:
  6. aroddy

aroddy LawnSite Senior Member

That's quite a list. This is the worst I've seen anyone unhappy with the new 400 series gravely
  7. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

Wow! Let us know how this turns out. Certainly not typical of a 400 series.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. Greg78

Greg78 LawnSite Silver Member

I was hoping the OP had pics of the repair.
  9. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

Come on, 7 pages over this piddly issue?

My relationship with dealers is such I would have already took care of it, not saying I wouldn't have made mention here...
    Yes, I might have even posted a picture, sure.
    But 7 pages?

One quick trip down the road, and somewhere between $25 and $40 for a quick weld...
    $5 for some spray paint.

Granted, I can see going back to the dealer.

No doubt.

And I can still see going the warranty route but just let them fix it and be done.
  10. The Gardener's crew

The Gardener's crew Banned

Hey guys. I'm new at this. Glad I found lawn site though. The machine is at my local dealer. I can go by and take pictures and upload them on the site if you like. Out of all our units, we have never had any to crack like this gravely 460. Minor cracks under the deck maybe after the unit gets 5 years old or more on it. Its funny to me..... you guys talking about weld it back together. IT DONT WORK. The dealer tried it the first time. It broke a week later. I think it is a bad design because after the weld broke the dealer told me that there is a fix which would have to be welded in the frame and also a recall on the air bag in the seat. Two more competitors in my area have similar issues..... front end cracking and front wheel bearings going on. Don't get me wrong, the 460 has a great cut, fast speed, plenty of power (fx-921) , but I this machine is not ready for prime time. I know there more cases out with the same problems.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.