Gravely X Factor deck leaving stragglers?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Dr. Cornwallis, Jun 26, 2014.

1. Dr. Cornwallis

Dr. Cornwallis LawnSite Senior Member

I've been really impressed with my Gravely PT 148, however, the last couple weeks it's been leaving quite a few stragglers, even when cutting at a pretty slow speed. It is also still leaving some stragglers after double cutting. When I first got the mower it would leave the grass looking like carpet, now I've noticed it's starting to require double cutting on both Bahaia grass and St. Augustine, and like I said, even then it's leaving stragglers. I mow some accounts that a pretty bumpy and I'm wondering if maybe I rattled the deck out of pitch? If so, how do I measure deck pitch on the X Factor deck and what is he correct pitch? Also, where can I purchase OEM blades for my mower? My dealer only sells Rotary brand blades and I've noticed their different than the factory blades my mower came with. Also, the mowe is leaving stragglers with both the OEM blades and the Rotary brand ones.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. southerntide

southerntide LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Alabama

XF1 or XF2?

What is the serial range on the unit?

3. Dr. Cornwallis

I'll have the check when I get back to the house. I would think it's an XF 2, I bought the mower late in 2013 from a dealer that moves a ton of gravely.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. southerntide

Male, from Alabama

5. dathorpe

dathorpe LawnSite Senior Member

I don't own a Gravely but I am very familiar with mowing equipment. I'd say start from square one - thoroughly clean out the deck underneath and on top. Caked on grass underneath affects air flow and causes poor suction. Poor suction = stragglers. Check to see if you bent a baffle under the deck while riding over your "bumpy" accounts. Bent baffle = incorrect air flow. Poor air flow = stragglers. Make sure you are using sharp blades. Dull or worn blades = stragglers.

6. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Yup this is where you should start. If these things check out ok then you need to get the mower on a flat smooth level surface and check the level and pitch of the deck. Also try it with the baffles removed and see how it does. I like mine much better with the baffles completely removed. With the type of grass you are cutting you dont really need the baffles anyway because that stuff is stiff. Properly sharpened blades can also make a big difference. Also check your engines rpm's to make sure it is running at full speed. You want those blades spinning as fast as possible.

7. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah take those baffles off now.....

8. southerntide

Male, from Alabama

Does he have the baffles is what I was wondering?

9. Dr. Cornwallis

I'll find out Monday, I'm not going to be back home till then but I'll let y'all know ASAP. I need to get to the bottom of this. What puzzles me is why the deck just started doing it recently and not from the get go.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. southerntide

Male, from Alabama

Could be deck pitch / level, worn belt, bad spindle, and RPM's like Prostreet said, if you have the baffles it is a XF2 deck.