1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Gravely XDZ 100 series or Tiger Cub

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by AcushnetLandscapeService, Sep 12, 2009.

1. AcushnetLandscapeService

AcushnetLandscapeService LawnSite Member

Looking into buying my first ztr. I've heard great things about the scag, but it seems like I'll be getting a little less of a mower for more $. They want $7999 for it with a 48" 19 hp kawi and a 16 bushel bagger for $2599. On the other hand I'm wondering if anyone out there has or has used a Gravely XDZ and can tell me how it is. For the Gravely XDZ with a 48" and a 23hp kawi they want $6500 and a 12 bushel bagger for $1299. Any info or advice would be greatly appreciatted!

2. MeMowLawns

MeMowLawns LawnSite Member

That price on the tiger cub seem kind of high for what they can be had for in my neck of the woods. I would say go ahead and save up for the scag because they are tanks and cut really well. On the other hand, I know a few people who really love their Gravely's and they are quite a bit cheaper. Atleast where you are

3. MeMowLawns

Just called the local dealer and they want 7299 for one with the 19 kaw and 48 deck

4. AcushnetLandscapeService

Was also thinking maybe 19hp was a little underpowered for that 1100 lb. machine, and ya I thought that price was a little rediculous, I'm not so sure that I'm fond of the dealer.

5. AcushnetLandscapeService

How is the Briggs motor working for you? They also sell the Tiger Cub with a 26 Briggs and its actually a Whole Grand cheaper(WIERD). This guy is just giving me a lot of red flags.

6. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

We just delivered a unit ( 19 Kawi, 48", Cub ) as described for $6499+tax+credit. It was a special deal from Scag though. 19 HP is fine with the 48".

That said, there are a number of our customers running the 100 and 200 series Gravelys too. We sell them what they want or what we think will serve them best.

7. AcushnetLandscapeService

So can you tell me anything good or bad about the gravely model?

8. AcushnetLandscapeService

Also if you could ship me one of those good deals on a Scag you've got yourself a sale.

9. MeMowLawns

I havent had any trouble at all with it, has plenty of power. There is alot of flack on this website about it because it isn't a TRUE commercial engine more of a high end homeowner. But, after 3 years haven't had a bit of trouble. Can't tell you how many hours I have on it, my hour meter only works when it wants too. I did during the first year put around 75 or so hours on it, I bought about a quarter way through season, before I noticed the hour meter said it took me about .2 hours to mow 2 acres. It'll mow pretty good but not that good. Guessing I have about 250 or so hours on it.

10. johnwon

johnwon LawnSite Senior Member

I just looked over the specs. real fast and see that Gravely has 12cc pumps where Scagg has 10cc pumps. The Gravely has full suspension seat where this Scagg does not. Looks like the same size wheel motors and same pto clutch too. Well you already know about the engine difference, but I like the 23hp over the 19hp and the 23hp Kaw. over the 26hp Briggs as well. I had the same choice to make a couple of years ago and back then decided to go with the Gravely. Only thing was, I ended up leaving with a 60" deck machine rather than the 48" I had decided on. I'm still happy with mine, I only mow my yard with it. I always look hard at the components that are installed on the machine when comparing one with another. The whole name brand thing, Scagg better than whoever is pretty short sighted. I'm sure you can compare a given Scagg and it will be better than a given whoever machine, but I can likewise take a given Scagg or any other name brand and pick another brand in a particular model that will be a better machine. I'm not picking on Scagg, because I do know that they build very heavy duty machines and are well respected by me.
    PS; I assume you are looking at the Gravely 148XDZ and not the 148IM XDZ.