Gravely XFactor deck baffle settings - just checkin'

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by DA Quality Lawn & YS, May 5, 2014.

1. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Now having mowed for a few days with my PT 260, I am very pleased with the quality of cut the machine leaves. Have only mowed in slightly moist to dry conditions, but the cut is table top. Stripes are decent (not bad but I have seen better). The machine holds hills WONDERFULLY, so much better than my Toro Z.

And, I may have to try these notched blades too. So just to confirm, the windrowing and downward flow of the clippings near the deck is eliminated using the notched blade type?

2. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

It is eliminated completely on my 160z and the original xfactor deck did it worse than the newer XF2 deck. I went to put them on my 460 yesterday morning but the battery for my impact didnt have enough juice so I threw it on the charger and went to work. I put them on when we got done so monday I will be able to let you know how they do on the newer deck.

3. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

I agree with this 100%. The X Factor is the perfect in between. Its the most versatile deck IMO. Now with the XF2 you get even better results. It can be adjusted so close to the Ultra Cut and Velocity its crazy.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. ProStreetCamaro

Hmmmm well here is an update on the blades. On the original xf deck they cut incredible. On the xf2 deck they good just as good as the original blades but not better. When we got done today I sharpened them and also removed the baffles. Everything has been soaking wet all week and I had some build up on the baffles so I figured I would try it with them removed tomorrow.

5. kmzlawncare

kmzlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I discovered today when I was cleaning my decks and changing blades that one of my 460s has baffles the other one does not. I was wondering if anyone else has seen this. The mowers are less than 6 months apart.

6. ProStreetCamaro

XF1 deck and XF2 deck

7. GMLC

2012 XF1 no baffles. 2013 XF2 baffles and larger discharge.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. kmzlawncare

kmzlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

That's what I thought but I bought the 13 in October and just bought the other one a couple weeks ago I should have looked to see if the baffle was just not installed I couldn't see any other difference. Or maybe it's just the X factor 1 I really haven't noticed any difference in the cut of the two I put mulch blades on both of them today I will see how they cut tomorrow.

9. GMLC

If the bolt holes are there the baffles were never installed.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. Razorblades

Razorblades LawnSite Senior Member

I thought that the xf1 had front baffles also, just not adjustable or removable?
    Posted via Mobile Device