Gravely XFactor deck baffle settings - just checkin'

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by DA Quality Lawn & YS, May 5, 2014.

1. kmzlawncare

kmzlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

My serial numbers are 1 number apart one is a 25 the other a 26??

2. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

No front baffles on XF1.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

The XFII also has a larger discharge opening, so you can compare that aspect as well.

4. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

Are you talking about the front inner baffle wall that most flat deck Z's have? The XF I has that, but it doesn't have the adjustable baffle that bolts to the inner baffle.

5. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

6. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

I have now run some thick, spring growth thru my PT 260 with baffles at two different positions. Position 1: Baffles set just below blade level, and Position 2: Baffles set all the way down. What I have found is there is very little difference in cut quality between the two positions. You still get that small windrow of grass about 10 inches from the chute opening where the grass is blown down into the turf, with either baffle position.

So, for now, I am keeping the baffles all the way down. Might as well.
    I still have to try removing them totally and will see if that affects the clipping dispersal.

7. Razorblades

Razorblades LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, thanks RG. I thought I was going crazy or somthing because I was pretty sure that the XF1 had that front welded in baffle.
    Thanks for clearing that up.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

You're quite welcome my friend.Thumbs Up

I knew your Gravely has the tunnel deck that doesn't have the inner baffle, so I figured that must be what you were asking about about rather than the piece that is adjustable by moving it up and down on the inner baffle.:)

9. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

I installed, then removed the discharge side baffle on our 272 while mowing a thick, heavily fertilized lawn yesterday and witnessed the line of grass appear then disappear. This was with a 72 inch deck with the baffle in several positions before removing it. I believe there is a low pressure area just below the baffles edge caused by the airflow over the top that pulls a percentage of clippings down. This would be alleviated by raising it higher that the cutting edge or roving entirely. What if like to do is either add or remove material from the end to stop the problem. When the growth settles down its a non-issue though
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

Sweet - hope it works as well for you as it does for us
    Posted via Mobile Device