1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

gravely zero turn blade change

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by chefj, Jul 18, 2014.

1. chefj

chefj LawnSite Senior Member

I need to sharpen the blades on the new gravely and the owners manual doesn't have much information on it. There aren't any nuts on the spindles, so how should I stop the blade from spinning? any advice would be great. I don't think putting visegrips on the pulley is going to be the smartest thing to do.
  2. southerntide

southerntide LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Alabama

Block of wood for socket.... suggested you use a impact wrench for it, jack it up and pop them off and sharpen
    ericg likes this.
  3. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

I edge a short piece of 4x4 in the notch under the deck to block the blade from spinning. Impact wrenches are for wimps (lol). Just use a wrench to loosen the nut and remove the blade.
  4. gebby

gebby LawnSite Senior Member

I'm a wimp. In the past, I used a block of wood and a breaker bar. Do yourself a favor if using wood. Cut it to size needed so it rests on the ground. If not you will need one more arm and hand to hold it up there. Impact wrench air or electric is good money spent. Turns it in to a 10 minute job with much less verbal abuse towards the project.
  5. dieselss

dieselss LawnSite Bronze Member

Posted via Mobile Device
  6. Mobius396

Mobius396 LawnSite Member

Impact is best, but I'm guessing he doesn't have one.

My father in law was just telling me about how he uses a block of wood and a ratchet. He strongly warned me to turn the blades in a direction so if the ratchet slips you won't gash your hand open. Anyone want to guess how he learned that lesson?
    Posted via Mobile Device
  7. southerntide

Male, from Alabama

Yeah that is no fun you can grab a cheaper electric impact at wholesale place or box store for $40 to $70 and that's much better than doing the old block method it sucks doing that way anyways.
  8. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

Why is impact best? The first blade change you may need a breaker bar, after that if you are properly tightening the bolt a wrench and a block of wood is all that is needed.
  9. southerntide

Male, from Alabama

Cause it 10x faster why not only time I use pry and wood block is in the field if ever needed rarely, plus when jacked up using wood blocks and pry if doing that way shifts the mower around on the stand when applying pressure to break bolts loose, much more efficient and safer with impact.
  10. zackvbra

zackvbra LawnSite Senior Member

Keep in mind the bolts torqued down from the factory are going to be stupidly tight. I had to get a block of wood, a breaker bar and a cheater bar on top of that and all my strength, and I'm a pretty strong man. My air impact couldn't even break it.
    Posted via Mobile Device