gravely zoom 1534 model for small gates???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Rob's Lawn Care, May 16, 2005.

1. Rob's Lawn Care

Rob's Lawn Care LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I know i am probably going to catch"residential use only" flack over this, but heregoes. I was considering purchasing a 1534 (fifteen briggs, 34" cut)model homeowner unit for about 2400.00 new, setup with mulch for my medium, (a few small) sized yards. Nothing fancy, expensive, and not to many yards but enough a week to be done. It's not to heavy as to make ground impressions, about 500lbs is the weight. Does anyone have any experience with these gravely/ariens small mowers or have a set up like that?

2. dpullen4

dpullen4 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I purchased the Ariens 1740, so it's a bigger unit than the Gravely you priced. I did consider the mini zooms, but just thought there were enough features in the bigger model to warrant the upgrade in cost.

In terms of overall performace, I'm quite pleased. Granted, it's a "residential" ZTR, but I've cut my mowing time from 1:15 with my 21" Honda to about 25 minutes with my new 40" Ariens ZTR. I'll pick up our HOA account next year of 2 acres, and even if that's all I ever did, there's no way I could even dream up of putting over 5 hours/week. Would I use it for commercial? No, but this mower should last me for YEARS.

3. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

You might look at the Scag 32" it is rock iron solid for residential. It is probably a little heavier than Gravely. We have two of the 32" that served us well, we have since switched to 36" hydro units.

4. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I don't care for nothing below 44" because the only thing it's good for is those few yards with the 3-foot gate and it wastes truck fuel the entire time it sits on the trailer, plus time (un)load. Had a friend bought one years ago and he said it was the biggest waste of his time and money.
    As for me, I don't even care for the 44" unless it's a steal, I always buy a 48".
    The 48 is the largest mower that will fit through MOST 4-foot gates (at least the fix-deck proline does), 52" is too big and where the 48" don't fit is too few gates to warrant the 44" because every size down is another circle you gotta draw around larger yards with the machine (more mower-time).
    With the 48", I cut an acre in 30-45 minutes (depends on whether it's .9 acres or 1.1 acres and if is trees and hills or flat and square), I mean if I bought a small 30-something then I'd have to charge extra for the inconvenience and for all that, I'd just as soon give it to someone else.
    That's my attitude, and besides if those mowers are so good, then why is everybody selling them? :)

Peace out,
    Pascal

5. Tider6972

Tider6972 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Alabama

Rob's, I think you'll be fine with it.

I've been using a PM34Z for almost a season now, and it has virtually eliminated 21s, and saved a world of time for us!

The 1534 is not commercial, but it's pretty dang close - and for half the price! As best I can determine, the 1534 lacks the full 7 gauge deck, has smaller tires, and has the Briggs instead of a Kaw. The deck is a fabricated and reinforced 10 or 12 gauge and otherwise is like the 7ga commercial Gravely decks!

I think it'll be fine, if you don't want to spend the 4 grand for the PM34Z !

PS - expect the anti-small ZTR crowd to chime in, but they refuse to recognize you're not dealing with acre lots with friggin' drive through gates! For you props with 36" (and a grunt less in some cases) you're on the right track with a 34" ztr - you'll save time and a hell of a lot of energy over a work behind!

6. Rob's Lawn Care

Rob's Lawn Care LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Thanks Tider for your opinion, thats what i was looking for especially someone that has a small 34" ztr and can tell me about their experience before i go out and buy one. I think most people would agree with you about the small ztr mowers, the market i think DOES change on some things. small mowers lack this and that but,i f you can't get it through the gate, it's not worth a ****. Thanks, Rob

7. moremowing4me

moremowing4me LawnSite Member
    from S.C.

DIDO!!!!!!!!!!

8. billh

billh LawnSite Member

I've got a Gravely 1534 w/the Kohler 15hp. It's great for small stuff, getting through fences, etc. I wouldn't hesitate buying a 34". The right tool for the right job is always a good choice!

9. baja4wd

baja4wd LawnSite Member
    from South

Just picked up a Gravely Mini z-1540, nice unit, not commerical, but close. Deck is 12ga, reinforced spindels & banding around the deck. Fabricated & not stamped, it will fit through all my gates and the 15HP Kohler is excellent. Just my 2cents worth.

10. sooner74

sooner74 LawnSite Member
    from UT

Got to echo the statement ,if you can't get it through the gate, it's not worth a ****. The dealer talked me into the 1434, over the 1534 though. I think they wanted $300 more. For being as uneducated about this business as I was when I bought it, I got to say I am still satisfied with the purchase. My cut times for all my accounts have been cut by at least a third for the smaller ones and in half for the larger ones.