Gravely Z's, and Toro 500's on hills?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Shady Brook, Jun 6, 2004.

1. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

Can anyone tell me how well the new Toro's hold steep hills, and also how well do the Gravely Z's, like the 260's hold hills with the front axle locked? I demod a 260Z, but the axle was free to pivot, and it did not do great on the hills I tried.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Jay

2. gravedigger5

gravedigger5 LawnSite Senior Member

I run a Toro 255Z and it will hold nasty hills pretty well. When it was in the shop for a week this spring, my dealer loaned me a new Toro 500 and it seemed to hold the hills even better. I think the added weight of the roll bar over the drive tires made some difference. Seemed when I would drive forward down into a ditch or something, it would not slip a tire as easy and back up the grade better than my 255. I'm not saying it was a big difference but noticeable. All in all I was impressed with the machine and would not hesitate to purchase if and when I am ready for a new Z. JMHO Marc

3. so far mine huggs hills good ...one thing the hydro pumps seem sensitive...lol guess they take after my sensitive self lol.....in wet conditions you dont watch it they spin on ya ....

4. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

Odin, Odin, Odin...mate, what are we gunna do with ya?! LOL!

Sensitive Self....ha, ha, ha, Yeah bloody right! sensitive as an axe maybe! LOL!

Well, it's nice to see that yourself is now sensitive n all, just have to fine tune it and ask, are you getting more in touch with your feminine side? No, not touching the female on your side!! geeesh!

so, with you be changing your name from ODIN to N.A.G...New Age Guy?

aren't I lucky we have that big pond between us, LOL<> LOL><LOL> can't bif me over ere....ha, ha, ha!

See what the rain does!

About the Toros, accross hill ok.
    up hills, good.
    down steep slopes....hand on!

my previous toro Z355 could go accross, up, down stuff I wouldn't be game to take the midmount....

avagoodoneodin!

5. lol tony mate .......im hip to all the sensitivy lol.....

new age scotsman ...hmmmm dont sound right lol