1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Gravely Z's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by opher, May 2, 2007.

1. opher

opher LawnSite Member

I don't hear too much about Gravely, Just wondering how many Lco's run Gravely Z's ?
    Which model?
    Pro's and Con's ?

2. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

Used to run a pro 200 1996 vintage. Got tired of listening to the many varied stories from gravely dealers about why my parts weren't getting to me, and got tired of replacing everything that broke down on this machine. Got a new Dixie Chopper 28 hp efi Kohler, an awesome machine!
  3. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

Using a 144z for the first season. Got it as a demo. So far no problems. It discharges on Tall Fescue and weed patch lawns just fine. I can actually mow pretty tall stuff at nearly top speed. It is not as low slung as the Exmark so I wouldn't trust it as much on steep hills. It also has a more rearward weight bias, so the front will lift on a steep uphill just enough to startle you, but that gives it better traction and less wheel spin, so less turf damage. I use Exmark blades on it, they are identical sized.

It does not mulch leaves nearly as well as the Exmark for some reason, no matter what blade I tried. It won't suck them up off the ground, though it does ok on leaves sitting on top of grass. I haven't tried mulching grass much, but I feel it's not as good as the EXmark at that, leaving a few blades behind when I tried it last winter. But bagging/discharging, it's fine. I like the bigger front tires. The emergency brake design is not as solid, but works. It just allows you to hit the control bars and move a little if hopping off to get something. Access to belts is better, and for the $1,000 lower price it's a fair value. I would get the Exmark if I could only have one ZTR, but the Gravely is a great 2nd unit so far.
  4. opher

opher LawnSite Member

Thanks for your input, I would like to hear more.
  5. johnwon

johnwon LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 2006 160XDZ. After comparing to all in my area, I found it to be the most machine for the price at the time I was looking. I bought it just for my yard and sometimes wonder if I bought too big of a machine, I only have about 2 acers of grass. I like the 160 being it is a compact 60" ZTR compared to most other 60" ZTRs. And the weight is less than most too. I can't compare quality of cut to anything else except my Craftsman I don't use any more....It is far better than that. If you buy one...try to get a left over 2006 model rather than a 2007. Gravely used some cheaper parts on some of their machines to cut cost. I think the XDZ series are still the same for the most part between 2006 & 2007.
  6. Espacesverts

Espacesverts LawnSite Member

I have a pm148 2006 and a pm152 2007 and I love them. No problem so far and I use them 6 hours minimum a day. The only thing could be the motor. On the pm148 I would like to see a 23hp. I like the blower and bags kit too.
  7. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

I use a 2004ish 260z. I think that is now the 260XDZ or something like that.

Great mower, but I have had some problems with the hydro system. The mower has 600 hours on it now, and Gravely has replaced 5 (or 6?) hydro pumps on the unit.

Search my name and you will see some posts complaining
  8. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Thats very odd. Thats the first I have heard of any hydro problem from the gravley line. It sounds as if there is some kind of debris in the system thats chewing up the hydro pumps. They need to flush the system 100% or you will continue to have problems if it is in fact debris thats causing your problems.
  9. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

there was severe cavitation in one several of the pumps, which actually exists in all the 200 series mowers from about 2003-06 (maybe still). Most people dont notice it but you will if you are looking for it. I considered it to be a real safety issue. Some mowers show symptoms worse than the others.

The other problem was 3 times I had the deck lift pump break off the top of the drive pump. Something Hydrogear flew in a rep to investigate and supervise the repair. I have never been made aware of any findings as to the cause.

I have had no problems other than those with the hydro system. And yes the system was completely flushed each time, you can be sure gravely and hydrogear made sure that was being done after replacing a couple of those expensive pumps.
  10. terracare

terracare LawnSite Senior Member

I have only ever owned the 34Z. It was a nice little machine, but had problems starting it because of the parking brake safety mechanism not disengaging properly. There was no manufacturer collection system either. I wouldn't buy another, tho.