Gravely zt-34 VS Snapper Pro sw5

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by getdown, Oct 12, 2012.

1. getdown

getdown LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Hi guys,

I need help deciding. This purchase will be for my "go to" everyday lawn mower while starting out. I would obviously like this mower to last a while, and eventually serve as a back up mower when I upgrade.

Which do you think is better to go with? Obviously I'm only looking at a 32-36'' right now, so it shows you what kind of work I'm expecting to do.

Should I go with the true, full out Snapper Pro with the 16hp Kaw and the easy to maintain belt drive?

Should I go with the semi-commercial sit down instead?

2. Greg78

Greg78 LawnSite Silver Member

Why not go full commercial with the Compact-Pro from Gravely? I've heard good things about that mower.
    http://www.gravely.com/zero-turn-mowers/commercial-compact-pro/Pages/default.aspx

Just starting out a walk behind will probably serve you better in the wallet.

3. getdown

from Florida

The problem is I can't afford the compact pro.

Ironically, the 34zt is several hundred less than the Snapper Pro walk behind, so I wouldn't be saving money.

4. Greg78

In the long run you would because it is full commercial and wouldn't likely need as many repairs as soon.

5. Greg78

what is the Snapper-Pro your looking at going to cost? Have you thought of looking for a decent used unit?

6. getdown

from Florida

The Snapper Pro belt drive walk behind 32 inch with the 16 kaw was quoted at $3079 out the door including tax. I didn't try and bargain with him that I was paying it in full with a credit card, but I may be able to get it down.

I'm looking to spend around 3k, but it has to be on my credit card. What do you think I should look at used alternatively in that range?

The thing that intrigued me about buying new was just having dealer support.

7. slowleak1

slowleak1 LawnSite Senior Member

Get the gravely. Good friend of mine has a 34 gravely residential mower, 12 years old and cuts 20 lawns a week. Only thing to ever break was the muffler, and a front wheel spindle. Still cranks right up and cuts amazing, better than my hustler fastrak super duty 36"

8. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

I just found out this week Gravely is coming out with an entry level commercial ztr. Its called the Pro-Turn. Its in between the Pro-Turn 100 and ZT HD. It may be worth a look.
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Greg78

I really wouldn't get a rider in that size range usually the tires are narrow and they rut pretty bad. I don't know what size lots you have in Martin County here where I'm at in Lee most of our lots are less than 10 k of turf. What works really well for most of us here is a combo of either stander/walk-behind and zero turn. 32" and a 48" or a 36" and a 52".

We have 36" WB and 2 zero turns a 50" and a 52". Only use the WB on gated lawns and areas that get supper soggy. I did use it for almost a year exclusively and cut an average of 10 lawns a day with it with a velky.

If I could only have one mower it would be a 36" Stander. Those would be out of your price range.

I recommend you find a decent Hydro walk-behind with a sulky.

I can't recommend buying a residential unit not with all the good deals on commercial equipment out there.

10. Greg78